Discuss Problem with my hobs = ( in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

leakingroof

Just moved into a new home with Baumatic B12B electric hobs.

Unfortunately they do not work and we are not covered under warranty as we are not the original purchaser (a load of crap!)

Basically what is happening is that when the knobs are turned they do not heat up. If you hold the knob between numbers i.e between "1 and 2" "2 and 3" and so on the light actualy comes on but the hob doesnt heat up. It is all wired in correctly

Any help is much apreciated

How old are the hobs and when were they installed? You may not be the original purchaser however you still have statutory rights and if they're within their warranty period they could at least offer some assistance.

If the light is coming on and no fuses have blown or circuit breakers tripped it suggests the electrical supply circuit is okay which leaves an internal fault in the appliance. To be honest, without test equipment all you can do is external visual checks. If there's nothing obvious then you'll need to phone an experienced electrician. I would suggest you don't fiddle around in the appliance itself, there's often exposed connections and a definite risk of shock.

So basically you have no electrical experience and your asking us to find an answer?
PHONE THE MANUFACTURER, this IS not an Electrical problem it is an appliance problem?

this IS an electrical problem, but in the appliance (apparently). first it needs to be established that the supply to the appliance is OK, then it's up to the electrician to make the call of whether to have a go at the appliance himself, or call an cooker repairer. a good all round sparks should be able to pinpoint the problem.

Just to clarify......

This could be an induction hob requiring special induction pots and pans???

I know the make and model numbers are there I just haven't googled it

There is no problem, they ARE induction hobs according to the Website.
Not only do they not heat up without pans on you need pans specifically designed for induction hobs.

need to be ferrous metal pans as well. alli ones don't work. ( i know, i've just googled it )

I'm actually very chuffed with myself that I was first to it! Ha!
Surprised the company didn't mention it when asked though.

nice one micky, yo younger ones will have heard of these modern innovations , whereas us old farts are just about getting past stoking up the aga.

nice one micky, yo younger ones will have heard of these modern innovations , whereas us old farts are just about getting past stoking up the aga.

Although saying that, the op might have been using induction pans and there might actually still be a problem with the hob

sounds more like he's just moved into the property and not realised it needs pans on it to work, if he;s not had an induction hob before. be nice to get a response from him if he's not too embarrased to admit it.

sounds like it. could be a thermal overload. without seeing it, i don't think anyone can give an educated guess. whereabouts are you. one of us might be close enough to have a quick look.

nickblake is near to you. whether he'll come out to a hob is up to him.

Reply to Problem with my hobs = ( in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock