Discuss Pulling 100A fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I need to pull the 100A fuse to change the consumer unit for my Part P assessment. The DNO is UKPowerNetworks and the electricity supplier is SSE. Both companies tell me that it is the others responsibility to pull the fuse. I am going around in circles. Any hep would be appreciated.

it's DNO's responsibility. you can ask for an isolator at the same time, usually chargeable.

In 25 years I have never once asked for a Dno to pull a cutout fuse unless it was damaged or looked very old and needed replacing...
Nowadays i think it’s pretty common to ask for an isolators switch.

Its a shame its not SSE as your DNO, their policy is to allow Scheme members to pull main fuses, for works. Have you tried to find out what UKPowerNetworks is? And don't ring them, you'll just get fobbed off.

Changing a consumer unit for a part P assessment. Doesn't make sense o_O

If you're not confident about pulling the fuse then ask the property owner to contact the energy supplier and get isolator switch fitted before board change.

Why the hell not?

Because they say so in thier own load of -------- way? I've read it and find it daft but hey ho, until someone gets killed because of bureaucracy like they're on about, it won't change, you'll have more chance of getting utilities back under nationalisation

I should add that I'm only commenting on the UKPN stance and the TLDR isn't my blanket consideration. If you can do so and do so safely then pull that sucker and put in an appropriately rated isolator but as we know there is no consistency across DNOs, some will let you, others was wont and no one is going to try thier luck in court and play chicken with the DNO to get them to defend thier standpoint.

You’ve never had a cut out flash over then?

Having pulled over 10,000 fuses in my previous role working for one of the big six, I never once had a flashover. It is rarely practical to wait for the DNO to turn up to remove the fuse.

The real risk comes with the old metal clad cutout types, that are often unearthed, where it is possible for debris to fall down into the carrier upon removal of the cover, causing a flashover. These should be treated with real care as although I have never been unfortunate enough to experience such an occurrence, I know plenty of people who have. Full visor, 1000v rated and gauntlet gloves should be worn when dealing with such equipment.

I am not here to advocate the pulling of fuses without permission, but we all know it goes on, and most would be lying if they said they had never done it. If you are going to do it, at least do it safely - and get yourself a shroud (ITL make a good one, as with all of their gear).

Reply to Pulling 100A fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock