Currently reading:
PV Cables

Discuss PV Cables in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Strictly there has always been a requirement sleeve the cables the correct colours at the terminations (ie brown and grey). Using the right coloured cable saves sleeving.

I have not followed through on the specification of the cable but anyone know whether brown and grey it is as UV resistant as black cable?

Regards
Bruce

@BruceB, we use brown/grey wherevere we can (clynder Solaflex) - from the manufacturer:

“Clynder Solaflex” boasts a flexible tinned copper conductor, with UV resistant double insulated LFSOH jacket. “Solaflex” is an extremely durable cable that stands up to German equivalents with advantage of being manufactured in Black, Grey and Brown, to meet UK installation standards.

There's no reason why it shouldn't be just as good.

Lapp and Eland both do coloured cable (red blue though!) in their case it is the first (inner) layer of insulation that is coloured and the outer is black.

Thanks, Solarflex brown/grey is what I have been using recently. A couple of clicks and I could have found that myself! I try not to route any where it will be exposed to the sun on top of a roof, but last week had to. 25 years of direct sun/wind/rain will be a test for them.

Also have been using SWA more where cables come down walls and may get thumped over the years.

Ok thanks for the info lads.

As a cable distributor, mentioning no names, we stock the Black/Black LSZH/LSZH, where the demand for this is HUGE. That great that we have had to quadruple (bad spelling?) the amount we buy for our stocks.

As installers, what colours and sizes would you ideally want readily available off the shelf?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, hope to hear from you soon.

500m rolls of 4mm2 and 6mm2 of both grey and brown please

i.e:
500m 4mm2 Grey
500m 4mm2 Brown

500m 6mm2 Grey
500m 6mm2 Brown

>500m to heavy to lift and we need cable drum jacks...

The fire officers who check our community building demand that all cables are either m.i. firetuf or in a metal conduit. what do you do with DC cabling?

Last edited by a moderator:
Worcester Renewables, taking your advice, ive just taken an order for 15km each of brown 4sqmm and grey 4sqmm solar cable. Excess of the MOQ to be stocked!

If your interested in getting in touch PM me!

Reply to PV Cables in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back