• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss PVC Conduit Question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

RDB85

-
Trainee
Reaction score
I’m looking to buy some PVC Conduit for some security lights rather than clip the cable. We don’t use it in work. But I know I need 20mm conduit but would I be okay using 20mm inspection elbows? I assume they just fit inside?

I’m looking to buy some PVC Conduit for some security lights rather than clip the cable. We don’t use it in work. But I know I need 20mm conduit but would I be okay using 20mm inspection elbows? I assume they just fit inside?
No the tube fits inside the fittings and Don't forget to use the adhesive!!!!!

I’ve been given a length of 20mm PVC so I would need 25mm fittings.
No, 20mm fittings are designed, for 20mm conduit, you may need a bending spring as well as a tube cutter if you are doing a lot of tube work, although a Junior Hacksaw will do the job just as well, although a cutter makes a better job of cutting use Heavy duty tube it's easier to bend and work with. In my considerable experience. Light duty tube tends to kink when bending,

I would avoid manufactured bends and elbows they look terrible in any instance. Get a bending spring and use sets wherever possible and use BESA boxes as opposed to the fittings you suggest.

The inspection bends do not allow a cable draw tape to push around the bend without taking off the face plate or perseverance, better to use a slow bend or as suggested above a bending spring to get a slow change of direction.

Yep and saddles, box lids and screws and if outside some waterproof gaskets,
Only thing I might add is that 'waterproof' gaskets don't waterproof. By all means fit them but when designing an external system always assume water will get in. Allow for drainage, by for example, fitting a terminal box at the lowest point with a small drainage hole. Do not enter lights and accessories from the top, come in from below or the side, and keep all joints out of conduit boxes.

Manufactured inspection elbows look terrible and amateur/DIY. Get a bending spring and make required bends. It's also cheaper in the long run.

Never used a bending spring. I will order one and do all my straight cuts and see if I have any scrap left to practice with.

Reply to PVC Conduit Question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back