Discuss Qualifications and signing work off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

CFTIS

-
Reaction score
Good morning,

Ok so this is something that has been bothering me for some time now and seems to be somewhat of a 'grey' area, I am hoping the community can clear this up for me.

My background -

I went to college in 2010-2012 and complete my level 2 and 3 - 2330.
2012 was the last year of the 2330 it then changed to the new and current diploma qualification.
Due to the change of the Electrical engineering qualification I was unable to find anyone offering the nvq3 from 2012 onwards and so did not complete this.

On completion of my 2330 I started working full time with my friends company who are fully registered NICEIC, Part P approved etc
We do mainly domestic work and the ocassional commerical and Industrial, from changing light fittings to full new and old build rewires, also quite regular periodic tests and the follow up remedials.

When we do the periodics and the final tests after completed work, myself and my boss do all the testing with both of us filling out the tests but he always puts his name to it and signs off the test sheet.

Now I was always under the impression you were only allowed to sign work off if you had the nvq3 (my boss does)

Ok so here are my questions...

1) I am fully taught and competent to 17th edition standards with full 2330 qualifications and certificates but am I still not classed as 'fully' qualified as I have no nvq ?

2) Am I allowed to sign work off ? Is it only the fact I can't register myself with NICEIC because they only accept nvq3 electricians ? I have seen in my wholesalers they sell Kewtech TC1,2,3,4 etc test books/sheets so am I allowed to sign my work off using these ?

3) If so do building inspectors accept these Kewtech test sheets and other similar test sheets?

4) Would I then be covered to do private work and sign it off with these tests and it be suitable for building inspectors (obviously with the correct insurances etc)

Thanks for your time, I look forward to your responses and will answer any further questions you may have.

as long as you're competent, you don't need nvq3 to sign off certificates. for domestic though, you'd need to be niceic or similar. they don't require nvq3 for membership.

BUT depending on where you are in the UK, the dreaded Part P may apply...

And don't forget to tell HMRC about your 2nd income, your vehicle insurance, and PL & PI is recommended...

Who do people tend to buy their PI & PL insurance off, and what's the going rates? I've just done a quick Money Supermarket and it came in over a grand which doesn't seem right to me.

Reply to Qualifications and signing work off in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net