Discuss Question - British Gas engineer says there is a fault ? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

HA2 is very much a part of the metropolis here in sunny West London.

I would be very surprised if the explanation for the OP's 100 ohm reading is down to a TT system as they are rarer than rocking horse droppings around this neck of the woods.

Why was the BG gas engineer who is obviously not an electrician checking for earth faults on an upstairs socket that is nothing to do with the boiler?

I have to say that before I met her, theOH had BG on contract to look after her rather old gas boiler plus the plumbing. It seems a very expensive way to have "peace of mind" but I suppose if you are living on your own and have nobody able to help, its perhaps understandable.

Anyway, BG serviced the boiler a number of times and also did some minor repairs to frost damaged water piping in an outbuilding..

I only ever recall her being unhappy with one of the engineers and that was because he was a miserable git, but they all managed to keep the boiler going and never tried any hard sales.

The last visit would have been 4 or 5 years so things may have changed

my OH also had/has BG for maintenance. been OK except for 1 visit where BG "engineer" told her the C/H needed flushing out at a cost of £800 + vat (not covered by contract). second visit by a different bloke deduced that when system was modified for a new boiler, some pipework had not been correctly modified to suit. 1/2 hour with the stilsons , all well again. no charge. so .... the ain't all bad.

Firstly I don't know if I'm allowed here as I am not an electrician

I have a question though....
Just had british gas out here to service my boiler

He refused to carry out service because voltage stick glowed when he touched the casing on speaking with another gas engineer he tells me that as 240 volts go through the boiler then the voltage stick may just light anyway.

You can touch the casing without any ill effects

On speaking with British Gas engineer, he then put a meter into one of my upstairs sockets and said it read 100 oms and that this would be classed as dangerous, quickly followed by he isn't an electrical engineer.

Obviously this has made me worry as reading was in my sons bedroom.

my questions are...

1. The volt stick is it a true indicator of fault?
2. Is 100 oms too much for a plug socket and if so how dangerous?
3. As plug sockets and boiler on 2 separate rings then how can there be a fault on both?
If needed to call in someone to fix my boiler, my first choice would not be BG. Ask your neighbours if they can recommend a local independant gas fitter.

Reply to Question - British Gas engineer says there is a fault ? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net