Discuss Question - British Gas engineer says there is a fault ? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Maybe they will go into therapy. If you are feeling down you can go to them for a chat... See how many people they will section....

Oh my,they will have cornered the market

They got the Boiler bit
They frighten that customer with nonsense electric scaremongering :eek:
The customer gets anxiety issues worried about fires and imminent death:(
The BG therapeutic department takes over to guide them through their troubles :cool:

Oh my,they will have cornered the market

They got the Boiler bit
They frighten that customer with nonsense electric scaremongering :eek:
The customer gets anxiety issues worried about fires and imminent death:(
The BG therapeutic department takes over to guide them through their troubles :cool:
Just need a decent credit % to trap you......

once was called out to a house where same thing occored. BG fitter 's socket and see said EFLI >100 ohms. My MFT said 352 ohms. however.... Ze at up front RCD was 0.2 ohms. on outgoing terminals of RCD it was 349 ohms !!!. with the RCD linked out Zs came down to 0.75 ohms. i recommended a board upgrade but customer was about to spend 15K on a kitchen and said he could not afford. Bullsh!t.

it's all down to image. he can show off his new kitchen to whoever, but a new CU is of little interest to their neighbours. a bit like Joan Collins spending £40K on her latest facelift and not putting out £300 for a belly tuck.

£15k on a kitchen, you should have advised the client to try harder at work and to get promoted as then they could afford a better kitchen and your fee.

How much is a board upgrade?
Depends on several things Is main bonding in place, test results, some circuits may not pass muster, how many ways circuit breaker are required, could be wrong, depends on the area £400/£500. You will need to get a quote from an approved Electrician, read the guide I attached, could also be you don't need a board change.

Attachments

• Best-Practice-Guide-1-Issue-3-(4).pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
£450 and she wouldn't pay it when spending 15k on a kitchen -

I feel like I should get a new board anyway been in house 16 years and that seems old to me

£450 and she wouldn't pay it when spending 15k on a kitchen -

I feel like I should get a new board anyway been in house 16 years and that seems old to me
if it ain't broke, why fix it? if fitted correctly in the first place, @ 16 years, should be good for a lot more years yet.

BG's aggressive,sales driven policy of condemning,fault-free installations,is something i have described,many times,over the last 10 years.
I fully expect it to be the PPI job,of the future.

All that would take,would be a list of people,who believe they were wrongly sold,over-priced and un-required services,and one or more ex-employees,at higher level,to confirm this,as a policy :)

Just a little thought for BG,if they are listening... a treasury select committee,has been investigating another similar,well known scam of the past,with another too-big-to-tackle sharlatan,namely RBS.

A large number of ex-business owners,who were systematically,ruthlessly and deliberately extorted by the GRG part of RBS,and told they were "helping" them,have been trying to get justice for years. Some are not still alive,for various reasons.

All it took,was some either scared,or shamed insiders,to provide some small sections of the institutions policies....like .."Rope.....sometimes,customers need to be allowed to hang themselves..."

It is worth a google...and once again,i tell you,i will treat myself to a fine 5 course meal out,when i am googling the identical implosion,of an identical situation,with BG,not that it will be any consolation,to the good folk who were suckered.:(:(:(

I used to sub to DNO's installing PME terminals. Many jobs came about from BG engineers telling the customer a PME terminal was required when in fact their earth was perfectly adequate. At £180.00 a pop. Don't entertain BG for anything.

I used to sub to DNO's installing PME terminals. Many jobs came about from BG engineers telling the customer a PME terminal was required when in fact their earth was perfectly adequate. At £180.00 a pop. Don't entertain BG for anything.
Sums it up rather well, I'd say.

It's a pity that what used to be a good big company, now has little regards for their customers needs and just wants their money.

Hi Sarah

I'm afraid it is the usual foot in the door..big companies with big advertising budgets selling anything they can sell....mainly image, subscriptions with heaps of small print clauses and promise of more work ..& sell a Nest (NEST brilliant pricing marketing structure to push away the small trades...We build it cheap sell it dear to cover some of the hidden installation costs and install it cheap!!) rant over...

I agree with sparkychick get a local/recommended Electrician to carry out small test/visual and email his/her findings to you and pass to BG. Will they do anything ? probably not unless they can get some work out of it.

1. The volt stick is it a true indicator of fault?
(NO.. I've gone through the odd live cable using these and can indicate a slight voltage between N and earth when dead .... including static in my pockets !) but hey-ho they are a handy "approximate indicator"... sometimes.
2. Is 100 oms too much for a plug socket and if so how dangerous?
Not if it is TT, but could be a earth fault or broken earth in TN system.
3. As plug sockets and boiler on 2 separate rings then how can there be a fault on both?
( Engineer not understanding or just inexperienced untrained)

I had to reconnect some wiring after BG disconnected a fused spur to sockets siting undersized wiring, the cable was fine @ 1.5mm. However, i will say from my experience there are always a minority of employees who are good and proud of their work and regardless of rules & regulations....are willing to go that bit further... . . . ..., ... . . . ...

British Gas are one of several companies that are owned by the multi-national parasites otherwise known as Centrica. Centrica also owned the Automobile Association prior to selling the business in 2004.

My brother was employed by the AA as a mechanic for many years, but ended-up leaving because of the pressure that Centrica were placing on patrolmen to sell customers items that they didn't really need ..... like new tyres and batteries.

As my younger sibling succinctly put it: "I'm a mechanic, not a f***ing salesman. If I wanted to sell tyres and batteries I would have applied for a job at Kwik-Fit.

Well said bruv.

Centrica have evidently instructed their gas engineers to also sell people things that they don't really need ..... like new consumer units and rewires. As 823,000 former customers will testify, Centrica suck. They are the unacceptable face of capitalism. Long may the exodus of their customer-base continue.

Reply to Question - British Gas engineer says there is a fault ? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net