Discuss Questions about choosing RCBOs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Alk

-
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been reading the topics on this forum which have been very helpful.
I am looking to change my consumer unit to a full RCBO unit - I am not going to fit it myself, I am just trying to gather knowledge as to what is available so that I am informed as to choice.
I have gathered that Lewden, Hager and Wylex are respected brands on these forums. My local wholesaler also mirrored this by suggesting Lewden for price and Hager for a recognised brand.
I have also gathered that going for a Type A RCBO would be preferable to a Type AC. I note that Hager and Wylex compact RCBOs are Type A "by default" and that Lewden do make Type A RCBOs if you hunt for them.

I would be very grateful for some advice please in answer to the following questions:
1. As a Landlord, I would need to have a 5 year inspection test done and what I'm wondering is that Wylex's (and Crabtree's) compact RCBO has a switched neutral which they are marketing as making it cost-effecting/time saving for this inspection test. Is this switched neutral really that advantageous for this? Could a switched neutral be considered worth paying that much more for from Wylex? (versus Lewden for example)
1a. Similarly, from photographs of Hager's RCBOs online it has a sticker stating "IR test can be carried out at load terminals with device in OFF position". Whilst not switched neutral, does the Hager provide a similar advantage in testing to the Wylex RCBO then?
2. Say I wanted to add more RCBOs in 5+ years time, what could be the likelihood that I could still obtain the RCBOs for Lewden, Hager or Wylex?

Thank you very much for your advice.

It's Hager for me. Not a fan of single pole RCBOs though. Hager do make others though, but these won't fit a UK-style single phase DB.

The 5 year inspection rather depends on the inspectors thoughts and the state of the installation.

I’ve given a 1 year retest period once ....

Seen a lovely looking Eris display as I walked in to Yess for a coffee today..
Anybody used that stuff yet?
I used a few isolators, felt like decent quality. Also fitted 2 metal clad switch fuses, they were not so good. Cover didn't fit properly and the fuse carrier felt weak and flimsy

Also, wylex would be my choice out of them. Chances of hager or wylex fitting in 5 years is also high, the better brands are usually quite good at keeping them matching. Especially hager

Thank you to everyone with their information so far.
Regarding my first question:
If I quote Wylex's/Crabtree's marketing for their RCBO:
Wylex RCBOs go one step further, they have switched neutral built in as standard, live and neutral conductors do not have to be disconnected for insulation resistance testing. This saves time and money, particularly for responsible landlords who regularly test installations during occupancy voids.
To me, that all sounds very helpful for an Electrician doing the work, verses the usual method of disconnecting the wires, but practically, would this switched neutral RCBO therefore save a lot of time when testing 5 circuits?
How much time (approximately) are we talking here in saving please?

I use SBS Live units in rentals/holiday cottages as a first choice. Single module double pole rcbos and very good value. However only sold to bona fide electricians

Use the Wylex miniature RCBO's myself and find them to be brilliant with no issues, have tried the Hager reduced RCBO's but prefer the Wylex boards - personal opinion!

Where a client wants to save a little on cost I'd fit Contactum which are similarly priced to Lewden.

Thanks @Murdoch.

In answer to my question 1a. regarding Hager's compact RCBO - let me provide a photo first to explain:
Questions about choosing RCBOs {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net
The sticker says ""IR test can be carried out at load terminals with device in OFF position" and it has printed on the RCBO "IR TEST HERE".

I contacted Hager technical support for clarity. They said that I am correct in my understanding; you do not need to disconnect the conductors to do an IR test, just switch the RCBO to off. Whilst I confirmed with them that it is not a switched neutral RCBO, you can do an IR test without disconnecting the wires, the same as you can with Wylex.
I think that this may be a new feature with Hager's compact RCBO? - as not all of the photos online have these markings - so you can probably only do it with those that have "IR TEST HERE" printed on the RCBO.

So that's rather interesting...time and effort saved all round for both brands then. :thumbsup:

I've been giving it some thought and I have another question I'd be grateful for advice on please: does anyone know of any "rounded corners" consumer units?
Basically, I don't want to hit my head on the sharp corners as the unit is at the same height. The only ones that I can find with rounded corners are: BG, Wylex NMX and Schneider Electric easy9.
The Hager Design 30 still has sharp corners by the looks of things, it isn't rounded.
I was wondering if there were any others that anyone knew of please?
Thank you very much.

In all seriousness the thought of hitting it with a hammer has already crossed my mind. :D
I thought that if I hit the corner with a hammer, the cover wouldn't then fit and I hadn't considered a file.
Do you think that I could reasonably do this to the corner (it would probably only be one corner) without the corner disintegrating?
I don't know how they make the covers, whether the corners are just folded over?

Thank you for the suggestion on a flush unit also.

What about those plastic guards that are used to protect kids’ heads from tables?
Thanks @Charlie_ I didn't know such things existed. A quick google found strips of furniture protectors that would be ideal: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Safety-Cor...&pf_rd_p=db2cb206-1547-5d02-897c-9bc3d0a7c78a

I was just reading the recent thread about someone getting an EICR and their unit was stated as not being up to 18th Edition standards.
Can I please clarify something - do I have to bring my installation up to date with the latest regulations when having an EICR? For example, say in 10 years time there was a new Edition and I had an EICR done then - would I have to bring everything up to the new Edition?
Or, providing that the installation is safe, can it remain at 18th Edition standards?

Hmm, not sure how you can IR test with the neutral still connected as would be the case with an SP RCBO - the neutral would be connected to the earth for a TN-C-S supply, and if you've opened the main switch, you'll still have spurious leakage paths via the other circuits.
However, it could just refer to the internals being arranged such that the RCBO itself won't be connected (to the outgoing line) and either be damaged or influence the results.

I've just fitted a board with SBS compact RCBOs - nice stuff (in terms of space to work/route the cables) and I'll be using them again.

I doubt that there's a lot of metal boxes around with rounded corners. Square corners can be made by simple cutting and folding - so is relatively cheap to manufacture. If you want nice radiused corners then that means pressings - expensive tooling to create up front, with a different tool for each case style & size. For flat sides, a CNC punch can make any size of box with just one set of tools - one punch per knockout size, cutting tool for edges and square opening on front, etc.
With plastic, each combination needed a mould anyway - so shape is arbitrary subject to design rules for moulded plastics (eg release tapers etc).

Reply to Questions about choosing RCBOs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock