Discuss Quick question guys regarding an old wylex board in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

DanBrown

I have just been asked to fit an additional socket to an existing ring main. The problem i have is the board is the old wylex rewirable fuse type.. and to keep up with regs and RCD protection on sockets etc, is their a device you can put in place of the re-wirable fuse with rcd protection, for example a rcbo?

Thanks for all your advice...

No device, take ring main out of board and use way to feed rcd enclosure,with ring main connected to the rcd.Expensive but you comply to regs.However do know peope that would just connect socket and sod it,makes people who are doing jobs to the latest regs sound expensive.

if this is someone you know in their own home, and the work is cash then some people might suggest doing the work, whacking in a fused spur off the ring-main and giving a 16th edition minor electrical installation works certificate pre-dated to co-incide with the 16th.

but ofcourse that is something i would never suggest, just saying that is what some people may be thinking, or would suggest on the quiet

I have just been asked to fit an additional socket to an existing ring main. The problem i have is the board is the old wylex rewirable fuse type.. and to keep up with regs and RCD protection on sockets etc, is their a device you can put in place of the re-wirable fuse with rcd protection, for example a rcbo?

Thanks for all your advice...

Same situation last week customer did not want to pay for anything extra, spoke to my governing body they said do work, put a disclaimer on cert explaining RCD Regs etc and that customer understood but had refused. as you are not making existing installation any different they don't have a problem. All these little jobs add up, can you imagine every time we went to price these little jobs we had to add RCD or upgrade bonding we just wouldn't get them, and the way things are work is work.

Without scaring your customer, we would advise, and thats the word, "advise " that they had a new consumer unit, difficult sometimes as it looks like you are touting for work, but explain the difference between the more safer modern products, and 9out of 10 will have the work upgraded, but do it such a manner that comes across, that you are not touting for work.

Reply to Quick question guys regarding an old wylex board in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock