Discuss Radial vs Ring in a standard 3 bed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'd get a proper sparks in; soon have that sorted for you. :)

PS, there's a member on here called Murdoch, from your neck of the woods. Could ask him.

They house has been like this from brand new , and worked perfectly fine for nearly 40 years...
Who am I to go knocking it :)

I have far better things to do with my spare time , like restoring some old tools :D

They always baffle me these threads. Use whichever circuit is best for the job having taken all design and operational considerations into account.

If you can't install a ring circuit properly, use radials is my advice to those who assume rings "dangerous"

Don’t forget the ones that like to use radials because they can’t test rings

A ring imo is easier to test and you have nothing to link out.
It’s just end to end which couldn’t be simpler.
I know DIYers can get very confused when they have a broken ring thou

Recently done 6 x 4 bedroom dormers ;
Timber frame with I beams throughout;
2 x Radials - which covered both floors for each half of the building, this method saves lots on cable, whilst wiring for the ground floor we just pulled up loops to each socket position for the floor above.
1 x ring for the kitchen
1 x 4mm radial for the utility

My house is 3 stories plus a basement - I have 5 socket circuits.

Basement - 4mm 20A radial
Ground floor -
-Kitchen 4mm 32A ring
-Living room 2.5mm 20A radial
First floor (one bedroom) - 4mm 20A radial
Second floor (three bedrooms) - 4mm 32A ring

I also have a 20A 2.5mm radial supplying the washing machine and spa bath (both in the bathroom), a 6A 1.5mm radial for the boiler, a 16A 1.5mm radial for the fridge freezer, a 40A 10mm cooker circuit, a 16A 2.5mm SWA supply to my shed and then of course 4 lighting circuits.

I had to be creative calculating maximum demand!

I only partially rewired it years ago, made use of some of the existing good stuff and this is just what I ended up with I suppose!

My current 3 bed 1980s semi has 1 ring on a 32a mcb for the entire house. Like this from new I presume. Not been rewired.
In fact it only has 4 circuits in total.
Cooker , ring , immersion and lights.
Proteus split board , cooker , immersion and lights non rcd And ring on the rcd. Loads of spare ways.
My first house was/is very similar; 63A/30mA RCD Main Switch, 32A Cooker, 32A Ring, 6A each lights up, down & smoke detectors. New build 1998.

4 bed detached, one ring for all the sockets but they put the cooker and oven on their own radial and the garage sockets on their own. The test results are all good and never tripped so it’s very much on the back burner because I don’t want to redecorate but it also means there’s not a lot of scope to add sockets because the ring is already spurred to supply downstairs. When I do come to sort it, I’ll put in whatever makes sense, if it’s a short leg back to the board it’ll get a ring, if it’s a long run back it’ll be a radial. Why complicate it more than need be if the calculations work out and you’re happy.

They always baffle me these threads. Use whichever circuit is best for the job having taken all design and operational considerations into account.

If you can't install a ring circuit properly, use radials is my advice to those who assume rings "dangerous"
I have to agree here. I’m not at all a fan of RFCs, but there are circumstances where it makes more sense to use one instead of a radial. And I also agree that one 16A or 20A radial Circuit for general use Sockets per Floor is plenty for the average dwelling.

Reply to Radial vs Ring in a standard 3 bed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net