Discuss RCD for outside protection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Gixxerdan

I have just recently bought a house which i am currently doing up. the consumer unit is a split load type with 1 rcd feeding the upstairs and downstairs sockets. I noticed that they have used the old cooker 6mm cable to feed the shed outside (t+e!) which I know needs changing to armoured and I think there should be rcd protection for it too as it is outdoors but what size rcd do i need? All there is is 2/3 sockets and two fluro fittings. Do i need a 100A 30mA rcd or would something smaller like a 63A 30mA do the trick? There is currently a chest freezer and fridge in there and the sockets will probably only be used for a lawnmower and strimmer. Also is armoured cable required or is 3 core sy substantial enough?
Thanks

We have done our best to sort out your previous thread but is this going to turn into a thread a day to help you wire your house? .... Additional works or alterations in Bathrooms, kitchens and outdoors is all notifyable and at minimum requires a qualified registered electrician if you dont notify, the questions you ask are all easily looked up in the 17th regs or OSG book, if you dont have these and a full set of test gear then you shouldn't be undertaking the work without either a qualified over-viewer or the notified inspection after.

I realise you may be trying to save a few pennies but what is the cost of peace of mind that your family or tenants wont be killed by incorrectly existing or installed wiring.

Last edited:
From your other thread where you freely state you have no proper test equipment I have to agree with the rest of the guys here get a properly qualified and equipped electrician in to do the job for you. I can pretty much guarantee that it will cost less than a funeral and be less traumatic

From your other thread where you freely state you have no proper test equipment I have to agree with the rest of the guys here get a properly qualified and equipped electrician in to do the job for you. I can pretty much guarantee that it will cost less than a funeral and be less traumatic

Ah FUNERAL that's the second F word

Reply to RCD for outside protection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock