Discuss rcd in flats in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

kmarsden98

just in middle of pricing rewire of block of 5 flats and was wondering about the isolation of each flat
was going to supply each flat in 16mm2 t+e from the communal area do the 5 16mm2 t+e supplying each flat have to be rcd protected as each flat will be rcd protected and dont want the inconvienience of the main rcd tripping as well as the ones in the flat under any faulty applainces etc

Depends on the run of cable. Are you installing in trunking or conduit or up a rising main for example? In which case, no RCD protection is required. If you're installing the sub-mains sunk into plaster at a depth of 50mm or less, (a bad idea IMHO), you will need RCD protection. Delayed action type?

yes will al be in trunking and under the floors thanks

also would you use seperate mounted isolators or a c/u with DP main switches mounted on din rail

also would you use seperate mounted isolators or a c/u with DP main switches mounted on din rail

Last edited by a moderator:
The last one I did like this had each flat having it's own incoming 100amp cut-out and meter provided by the supply company taken off a 3-phase 300amp supply. I then fed each flat via compact 80amp main switch fuses (MEM) using 16mm t&e, each circuit having an additional 16mm MBC run with it.

well firstly. now u are supposed to supply from the mains on 25mm not 16mm for the tails. Is the trunking steel? if not then it has to be rcd protected..... i would put in an rcd in the flat and also one feeding the flat by the meter (you may be able to get away with just a cb)... not very cost effective but it meets the 17th ed regs plus when the cable run is more than 100m (i think,check the exact figure) it has to be rcd protected

Nonsense. The trunking is going to be surface mounted so no RCD required. 25mm tails are going from a 100amp supply into an 80amp main switch fuse - the MSF then de-rates and limits the 16mm supply cable to each flat.

Reply to rcd in flats in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock