Discuss RCD Test Results on Condition Report in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ashb431

Hi I'm new here,

Been working for a company carrying out electrical testing for the past 5 years and was governed by how they wanted there test certificates completed (They had there own version for a large water company) I've recently changed jobs to a newish company that are not experianced in certificating as its all new to them and we are now filling out the "propper forms" In Amtech and I've got doubts about where they are wanting info recorded on the certificate and I'm not sure who is wrong or right!

1) For instance a circuit that is protected by a 32A 60898 MCB but then incorporates 30MA RCD socket in the circuit, Would you write 30MA in the RCD coloum with the rest of the circuit information and then record the RCD test results in the RCD results section for that circuit? And if so what would you do if the circuit had say 4 RCD sockets on it?

2) A main switch 30MA RCD protecting the whole DB (either separate in a enclosure next to the DB or actually in the DB) would you write 30MA on every circuit of the DB like above and then write the same RCD test results for every circuit on the DB?

3) Extent of limitations were being told to just put "Access" but I was also told to write a reason for every lim you do!? So it explains it to whoever is reading the certificate as to why some parts of the certificate are LIMed.

Will appreciate your comments!

Ash

How you fill out test result schedule is entirely up to you.
However to my mind the information should be clear and easily understood.
So where a DB is protected by a single RCD, I would use the same readings for each circuit, either enter the readings for each circuit, or enter one reading at the top of the colon and ditto each box below.
Some people will enter a reading at the top, then draw an arrow through each box to the last box.

Where there is a single RCD socket on a circuit, I would enter the readings in the box for that circuit.
Where there are a number of RCD sockets, I may just enter the worst reading, or indicate that there is a note and enter the details for each socket either in the space for comments or on a separate sheet.

For limitations, I would detail the exact limitations.
Standard one being: no dismantling of building fabric or lifting of floorboards.
Others might be no inturuption of supply to certain circuits, part of the installation or even the whole installation.

Last edited by a moderator:
For RCD socket outlets you need to record the test results separately on an additional page, there is no standard form for this. Entering the details of a socket outlet in the form which records information for the whole circuit is incorrect.

If the circuit has 30mA protection then that's what you record in the box, regardless of where exactly that protection is installed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers for the replys guys, I have to say I've been doing pretty much the same as spinlondon, But I also know that some people have been doing as davesparks suggests,

Cheers :)

As said there are many ways to write it not sure about amtech but in box certs there are boxes at the bottom of the page for rcd details if the whole board is protected by an eve or you can use one line of the report to fill the details in just but be in the boxes that are not applicable (I do this for dual rcd boards)for example RCD for circuit 1 to 5 I do not write the main rcd test result in every circuit as I only test it once , As for the limitations you need to make them clear like limited testing of circuits out of reach and untraced circuits

Where there is a single RCD socket on a circuit, I would enter the readings in the box for that circuit.

But the schedule of test results is for test carried out on the circuit, not tests carried out on items connected to the circuit.
The circuit does not have RCD protection and so it is incorrect to record RCD test results for the whole circuit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But the schedule of test results is for test carried out on the circuit, not tests carried out on items connected to the circuit.
The circuit does not have RCD protection and so it is incorrect to record RCD test results for the whole circuit.
Who says that it is incorrect?
Where is the schedule for recording results for individual items of equipment?

What if it's a circuit with some sockets RCD protected and others not? I find that in industrial maintenance, all metal clad and conduit, any faulty or damaged non protected are replaced with protected. May be 100 of each throughout the works in a present case, hence a gradual change over, limiting remedial costs.
Personally, I will test all and record the worst plus any faulty, with one note of explanation and another regarding the non RCD versions.
The IR testing will cause more problems, time wise.

Last edited:
I think its down to the each individual installation and the assessor to determine what is practically possible within the constraints of the situation i.e cost, time and access.
In an ideal world it would be good practice to test and record the results for everything. It is the case however that this is virtually impossible especially in a busy industrial environment. Personally I would record as much information as possible with additional results sheets for anything that cannot be recorded on the initial report cert, (provided, there was time and funds to do so).

My advice would be - be as thorough a you can in the time you have, prioritising what you believe is most necessary.

I would possibly put in column one: Radial Sockets.....and N/A the RCD times.
Then in column two: Circuit One(above) RCD socket outlet only....and fill in the RCD times.

You could list the BS number of the socket outlet but leave details such as ref method, cable CSA, and impedance values blank. As all those details would be in the circuit column.

I think that would make it pretty clear what was what on the schedule of test results.

When I say column I actually mean row!

Last edited:
The model certificates show the minimum required information. How hard is it to add an extra page detailing the RCD test times of individual RCD protected sockets? That's what I do, and it has been favourably commented on during my Part P assessment yesterday.

Reply to RCD Test Results on Condition Report in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net