Discuss RCD Trip x1 test no reading in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

geor1970

I was called to an office in a field today (tt system)

The led lights and sockets (separate circuits ) still have power when switched off at the switches ( lights on dim and socket neon half bright)

I did a ze test at the board and had to replace the earth rod.

The reading at the board is now okay but when i plug in my kewtech meter to do the zs the RCD trips

It also tripped on x1 trip test but failed to give a reading (it said NIL)

They have had loads of different unqualified electricians working in there and its a busy office where do I start?

Hi,

A couple of questions first-

What was the reading on the rod, and what is it now?
What size and type of RCD are you testing?
What setting are you using on your meter?

Regards.

Sorry I didnt explain very well I havent found the fault I need to back after working hours the fault is still there i just noticed the missing earth rod and renewed it .
The Rod was disconnected before but the new reading is now 23ohms
The Rcd is 63a / 30ma standard MK board.
Problem A. the power still going to sockets and led downlighters when switched off
Problem B. The Zs from socket trips rcd
problem c. The rcd test trips at x1 but no reading ?

Im using kewtech kt60 comi tester (anti trip)

I havent checked the polarity maybe a start?

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Find the damn fault!

There's no earthly point trying to carry out those kind of tests with what could potentially be a very serious fault in the installation!
Get the fault found and repaired before someone gets hurt!

There is a power supply for cctv with LED lights plugged into a ring main when you switch the plug off at the socket the lights stay on dim but on as do the ceiling lights ( different circuit) There must be a wiring fault somewhere but its a busy office and apart from doing a full test and closing them down i cant think where to start I first thought an earth fault L/E and found the missing earth rod but the rcd still trips when i do x1 test reads nil and when i try the zs at the sockets it trips

I'm sorry you've lost me........

When you go back you need to start testing as you would any other installation, then give a bit more detail when you have results.

basically there is still a weak current still passing through sockets and lights when switched off at the light switch... lights are staying on dim and neons in sockets still lighting up when plugged in but switched off at the sockets I will have to do a full test but its hard as its a office open 24hrs and will need to shut down and they dont seem to understand the seriousness of the situation thanks for your help ill investigate more tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a leakage meter? Worth trying to see what current is being drawn, strange one though if it's turned off!

Post has puzzled me tbh!

i was thinking about plugging in a stripped down extension lead (insulation stripped so to expose inner cores) and seeing what current was being drawn on conductors, probably not get the OP very far though in hindsight, would need to be there myself!

I'm off to bed before I think of any other useless info to pass on......

basically there is still a weak current still passing through sockets and lights when switched off at the light switch... lights are staying on dim and neons in sockets still lighting up when plugged in but switched off at the sockets I will have to do a full test but its hard as its a office open 24hrs and will need to shut down and they dont seem to understand the seriousness of the situation thanks for your help ill investigate more tomorrow

What do you need to shut down?
What testing are you going to carry out?

You have current flowing when it shouldn't be. What causes current to flow?

LED lamps can emit a very dull glow even when isolated. I have two examples of this in my house. First is a GU10 spot. This occurs on only one of four identical lamps, it cannot be an earth fault as there is no CPC connected. The second is a exterior LED spotlight, although this is earthed the glow can remain for a while after the DP FCU is switched off.

Never found out the cause of this. Mr Nunes or Mr Burns please? Or anyone else !!!

As for the neons glowing I do not know either. But further investigation is needed. You, or your employer, need to emphasise to the person that requested the work, that further testing is required. Try bypassing the RCD to do your Zs test. Try testing the RCD by itself and in isolation rather than from a socket. My MFT can go a bit haywire if the batteries are weak, so maybe new batteries are required.

When you come across a puzzling fault it can be easy to lose track of things. Get a pen and a pad at the ready and test the installation methodically. Good luck fella.

Reply to RCD Trip x1 test no reading in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock