Discuss RCD Tripping under No Load!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

nate1880

Hi Folks,

I'm new to this forum. Got a bit of a head scratcher for you all.

I have recently installed a new dual rcd consumer unit in a retirement home apartment It is about the 20th apartment we have done with no previous problems whatsoever.

On energizing the consumer unit I switched on the main switch, then both rcd's.
One by one I switched on the breakers and everything was fine, went in to each room operating the light, the lights all worked correctly but when I got to the kitchen light and operated the switch the rcd on the opposite side to the one protecting the lighting circuit tripped??

I flicked it back on, tried operating the test button for both RCD's, RCD 1 the one not protecting the lighting circuit would not operate, RCD 2 the one protecting the lighting circuit operated fine.

So I thought, ok dodgy RCD, so replaced the RCD, same problem occurring.

I have thought of everything , there is no damaged cables, no 'borrowed neutrals', the consumer units internal links are all wired correctly, everything looks correct but something is a miss & I cannot think for the life of me what?

Now the RCD will not even hold at all, flick the main switch on, flick on RCD1 & it's trips instantly. With no load.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Classic symptoms of a N-E fault. It's surprising it didn't show up when you tested the circuits before switching them on.

As DW mentioned, might be best to get the wires back out of the board and test each cct. Don't think I have ever changed an RCD under such circumstances as there are plenty of ways to find out whether it really is the RCD or a fault on the wiring or appliance

Crossed/borrowed neutrals maybe, the RCD tripping might be marginally faster than the other one. Could also be N-E insulation value but you'd have picked this up on the dead tests before powering up surely. The chances of it being a fault with the actual RCD is extremely slim and running an RCD test would be better proof of correct function than just replacing.

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

I'm new to this forum. Got a bit of a head scratcher for you all.

I have recently installed a new dual rcd consumer unit in a retirement home apartment It is about the 20th apartment we have done with no previous problems whatsoever.

On energizing the consumer unit I switched on the main switch, then both rcd's.
One by one I switched on the breakers and everything was fine, went in to each room operating the light, the lights all worked correctly but when I got to the kitchen light and operated the switch the rcd on the opposite side to the one protecting the lighting circuit tripped??

I flicked it back on, tried operating the test button for both RCD's, RCD 1 the one not protecting the lighting circuit would not operate, RCD 2 the one protecting the lighting circuit operated fine.

So I thought, ok dodgy RCD, so replaced the RCD, same problem occurring.

I have thought of everything , there is no damaged cables, no 'borrowed neutrals', the consumer units internal links are all wired correctly, everything looks correct but something is a miss & I cannot think for the life of me what?

Now the RCD will not even hold at all, flick the main switch on, flick on RCD1 & it's trips instantly. With no load.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

As it's still tripping I'd suggest not....:wink_smile:

Reply to RCD Tripping under No Load!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock