Discuss Rcd tripping with no switch on after smart meter installarion in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Desikeera

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

I am.from uk
I had a gas top up meter and a electric smart meter installation

Thought to ask my energy supplier to fit me a gas smart meter aswell

Their enginner came and said we will have to install the electric meter aswell so they will combine the smart thing on the display

But after installing the new smart meters

My rcd been tripping time to time even with all switch down on the main board

It did trip 2 times while he was here - but then worked absolutly fine he did open the unit and check and tighten all connectio

In last 5 hourd have tripped 2 times
Can anybody advise?
Strange because i already had an electric smart meter installation and never had this issue so why now?
Thanks
Can anybody advise me?

it has been suspected on another thread that the smartmeter transmitting it's data may trip an RCD in close proximity.

Thanks for your reply but strange i had a smart meter before this one never had this issue ?

Don't know why he changed the smart meter i already have, i even told him leave the old one its working pretty fine

I’d suggest that unfortunately you are going to need a friendly local sparks with testing equipment. A quick ramp test of the RCD with no loads on and all loads on, and measuring earth leakage will be conclusive quite quickly.
(If you indicate roughly where you are a forum member might offer to help.)
The alternative is turning all breakers to the left off and waiting a few hours and seeing if it trips and that is rather annoying and impractical!

I’d suggest that unfortunately you are going to need a friendly local sparks with testing equipment. A quick ramp test of the RCD with no loads on and all loads on, and measuring earth leakage will be conclusive quite quickly.
(If you indicate roughly where you are a forum member might offer to help.)
The alternative is turning all breakers to the left off and waiting a few hours and seeing if it trips and that is rather annoying and impractical!
Well during the installation when it was tripping, the engineer turned them all down and it was still tripping...

I am from manchester

Its a pain *** as means somebody needs to be at home because we got things in the fridge freezer
And it trips anytime can be after hours or 2 minutes

Is it an expensive thing? I am regretting to have asked for a smart meter now
My previous electric smart meter was working fine i just wanted to my prepayment gas meter to a smart one
The engineer insisted he will have to change both ?

expect to pay a call-out charge plus an hour or so labour. about £60 give or take.

Thanks for your reply but strange i had a smart meter before this one never had this issue ?

Don't know why he changed the smart meter i already have, i even told him leave the old one its working pretty fine
New in home displays are compatible with previous smart meters, SMETS 1&2. Did you have a new in Home display or change of supplier?

And there have been other threads on similar subject. Some of the suppliers deny it’s an issue.

New in home displays are compatible with previous smart meters, SMETS 1&2. Did you have a new in Home display or change of supplier?

And there have been other threads on similar subject. Some of the suppliers deny it’s an issue.
Yes, i already had a smart electric meter with the home display

So after he did put the new electric he gave a new home display now showing both electric and gas usage

Your electrical installation was due for a test in 2005, and should have had three more since.
May have been done of course, but the label should have been updated.

Reply to Rcd tripping with no switch on after smart meter installarion in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock