Discuss Rcd tripping with no switch on after smart meter installarion in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I just moved in this house in march as we bought it, thats the reason we wanted to switch for a smart meter for the gas instead of the already prepaid meter installed

Thanks for your advice i guess its good time to get it all checked
It shouldn't be related to the meter install

I haven't heard of this RCD tripping related to the new meters , although nothing would ever surprise me now

I have come across this exact problem. All the tests came back fine, there was no indication of a fault on any of the circuits

Same brand RCD, old memera one. Have read online of others having the same problem, again same memera RCD. Basically the smart meter is interfering with the RCD, causing it to trip randomly.

In my client's case, the smart meter was immediately below the fuse board. (don't laugh!) I took a piece of cardboard, wrapped tinfoil around it, and placed it between the meter and fuseboard. It hasn't tripped since, I kid you not! Obviously, if you intend to do this, make absolutely sure that there are no exposed live parts that could make contact with the foil, or you'll be fried alive.

Call your supplier and mention that its happened since the visit from the Engineer. He may have left a loose connection or reverse polarity (both of which can be dangerous). They may send someone out to check on the meter. Or if the problem persists, may pay for a sparky to check the properties circuits.

I have come across this exact problem. All the tests came back fine, there was no indication of a fault on any of the circuits

Same brand RCD, old memera one. Have read online of others having the same problem, again same memera RCD. Basically the smart meter is interfering with the RCD, causing it to trip randomly.

In my client's case, the smart meter was immediately below the fuse board. (don't laugh!) I took a piece of cardboard, wrapped tinfoil around it, and placed it between the meter and fuseboard. It hasn't tripped since, I kid you not! Obviously, if you intend to do this, make absolutely sure that there are no exposed live parts that could make contact with the foil, or you'll be fried alive.
Hi everyone

I called an electrician twice , he charged me crazy money ?? however because of the tripping or during the installation he told me my electric shower has became a hazard, need to change it as it showing some fault in his reader...
He became crazy as he couldnt find any fault, and then asked me what time the tripping happen, and other questions, he came to the exact conclusion of pretty mouth that the unit memera one in the past for one of his client use to trip just after the installation of a smart meter

As pretty mouth said its exactly whats happening for me, as i mentionnet in my first post, eon came to replace the gas meter ( as i already had a smart electric and never had any issue) but decided he will need to put a new electric meter and synch both of them, the problem now is everytime.eon send a signal to the electric meter as it uses radio signal, which i guess are so strong it trip my rcd memera one

I haven read about your tricj regardent the foil but i am afraid of that as i have 2 kids at home

Can anybody advise me please? I already paid more than 200£ for the search of the problem.and now i have an electric shower to replace ????

I am going nuts and really dont know what to do
Could i call eon to come back and replace the meter ?? Or any other thing?

Thanks again for all readers and replies

Hi everyone

I called an electrician twice , he charged me crazy money ?? however because of the tripping or during the installation he told me my electric shower has became a hazard, need to change it as it showing some fault in his reader...
He became crazy as he couldnt find any fault, and then asked me what time the tripping happen, and other questions, he came to the exact conclusion of pretty mouth that the unit memera one in the past for one of his client use to trip just after the installation of a smart meter

As pretty mouth said its exactly whats happening for me, as i mentionnet in my first post, eon came to replace the gas meter ( as i already had a smart electric and never had any issue) but decided he will need to put a new electric meter and synch both of them, the problem now is everytime.eon send a signal to the electric meter as it uses radio signal, which i guess are so strong it trip my rcd memera one

I haven read about your tricj regardent the foil but i am afraid of that as i have 2 kids at home

Can anybody advise me please? I already paid more than 200£ for the search of the problem.and now i have an electric shower to replace ????

I am going nuts and really dont know what to do
Could i call eon to come back and replace the meter ?? Or any other thing?

Thanks again for all readers and replies
Does the shower still work? Sounds like he's damaged the electric shower whilst carrying out insulation resistance tests? But would only really happen if it was one with electronics in.... who knows...

Just try the tinfoil wrapped cardboard trick first, the tinfoil isn't connecting to any electrics so no risk to yourself and kids.

Does the shower still work? Sounds like he's damaged the electric shower whilst carrying out insulation resistance tests? But would only really happen if it was one with electronics in.... who knows...

Just try the tinfoil wrapped cardboard trick first, the tinfoil isn't connecting to any electrics so no risk to yourself and kids.
Can you or somebody advise in the picture where should i put it? ThanksRcd tripping with no switch on after smart meter installarion 16281832516458804700656849686435 - EletriciansForums.net

I’m sorry to hear this has turned into a right saga.
I’d hold fire on the shower change - as above does it work?
Hopefully the card and foil shield will solve the problem short term.
(I’m wondering if there any forum members on east side of Manchester? )

Thanks for your reply

Right i will try that and make sure to call to send an engineer to repace or put back the old one

Already because of the trip last night had to throw food from fridge and freezer having 2 kids at home it was such a bad situation this morning...
I hope this works for you, and please do update us with how things work out. I'm interested to hear if your supplier will take any responsibility for the problem.

I’m sorry to hear this has turned into a right saga.
I’d hold fire on the shower change - as above does it work?
Hopefully the card and foil shield will solve the problem short term.
(I’m wondering if there any forum members on east side of Manchester? )
The electric shower works but the electrician told me it has become a hazard, with some equipment he showed me that its showing somr fault on the reader ( by putting 2 wires on 2 electric point inside the shower) so he told me hes cutting it off and has put tape on wires and asked me to replace
Not only that the constant tripping has blown 4 bulbs in the house and my front flood light, i had to replace them all which cost me aswell today, i really do believe something bad happened during the meter installation but wont accuse the engineer as i have no proof

Regarding the foil trick i have put it under the unit as advised, fingercross no trip happens now , i will call eon in the morning to send out an engineer or to give me back my old meter
Will keep updating as it can help someone in the future

I presuy the electrician is saying there's a low IR reading on the shower heater tank

When they go the reading is usually low enough to trip the RCD ime, maybe it's higher than that

RCDs are unpredictable at the best of times and I've seen some strange things happen, so definitely wouldn't be amazed if this was caused by the meter

Seems a stretch doesn't it, the meter tripping the rcd ?

Anythings possible I guess
It would seem that some rcd’s mounted close to some smart meters can in some circumstances cause the rcd to trip.
presumabley when they are transmitting data back to base.

when you think about it, an rcd is infact basically 2 coils of wire, wrapped round the conductors.
the rcd compres the current flow by measuring the current in the coils of wire.
strong radio waves could upset the balance.

it is not the first time we have heard this type of thing happen and although it seems far fetched, I believe it is a genuine problem for some people.
it is also something the suppliers are unlikley to spend much time investigating or admitting to.

It would seem that some rcd’s mounted close to some smart meters can in some circumstances cause the rcd to trip.
presumabley when they are transmitting data back to base.

when you think about it, an rcd is infact basically 2 coils of wire, wrapped round the conductors.
the rcd compres the current flow by measuring the current in the coils of wire.
strong radio waves could upset the balance.

it is not the first time we have heard this type of thing happen and although it seems far fetched, I believe it is a genuine problem for some people.
it is also something the suppliers are unlikley to spend much time investigating or admitting to.

Seen a fluorescent on a non RCD protected way tripping an RCD

The capacitor apparently was causing it

Definitely unpredictable devices

The smart meter uses the mobile network to contact the supplier for monitoring etc, in poor reception areas this software jacks up the transmit power to try and get a better signal, this in turn can have a negative effect on RCDs.

One option is for the supplier to fit an external antenna which should sort this out.

Reply to Rcd tripping with no switch on after smart meter installarion in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock