Discuss Recently changed a light switch which controlled 2 lights. Now only 1 light works. Pictures included in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DSH694

DIY
Reaction score
There are 2 sets of lights surrounding my house outside. One set is a single light next to the door, a standard outdoor lamp. The second is a series of spot lights under the roof to the house. There was previously a single light switch in the living room which controlled both sets of lights.

Recently i had this changed to a programmable light switch as i wanted the lights to automatically turn off during the day and on during the night. However after this change the only light which now works is the one at the entrance, the spotlights no longer work.

Here is what i've tried;

1. I've checked all the bulbs that are in the spotlights. They are all 12v 20w bulbs, using a multimeter i've tested all 5 of them and they all seem to work fine so none of them have blown.
  2. I've taken the programmable switch back out and replaced it with a standard one way switch. Again using this only turns on the entrance light, does nothing to the spotlights.

I don't understand why they would suddenly stop working? The wire was shortened as we wanted to change the position of the light switch i.e. have it higher up the wall but that shouldn't change anything should it?
Electrician actually did a bit of work all around the house as we wanted many lights and switches changing so is there a chance he has done something around the house that may have affected the spotlights?
Is there a chance a bulb has gone out? The lights are probably in a parallel set up rather series so that wouldn’t make sense.
I was thinking maybe the transformer burnt out but what are the chances of that happening? My guess is the electrician turned something off somewhere but I have no idea how to find out...
Here are pictures of the lamp next to the door and one of the spotlights in the same picture. There are 5 spotlights in total. Also included is a picture of the new timer switch.

View: https://Upload the image directly to the thread.com/a/Fgwx9zI/

Sounds like they have somehow been disconnected, possibly a lose connection somewhere. Have you checked inside the new timer switch. ISOLATE FIRST.

Sounds like they have somehow been disconnected, possibly a lose connection somewhere. Have you checked inside the new timer switch. ISOLATE FIRST.

Hi. I think you may be right about the loose connection but trouble is I don’t know where to find this.
I’ve checked inside the timer switch( I have uploaded photos) but the connections only seem to be for one wire?

the thing is, the spotlights and the outdoor lamp were controlled by one switch so initially I was expecting 2 sets of wires.
There is a fused spur upstairs near the direction of the spotlights I wonder if this is for those spotlights or not.
Is there a chance the transformer burnt out? It’s just too much of a coincidence for the transformer to have burnt out at the same time that an electrician was round.

Reply to Recently changed a light switch which controlled 2 lights. Now only 1 light works. Pictures included in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net