Discuss Recommendations for a Voltage Indicator and Proving Unit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

RDB85

-
Trainee
Reaction score
I’m looking to save for a Safe Isolation Kit, we done the Safe Isolation procedure in College using a Martindale Kit. But would anyone have any recommendations for a kit to buy? The Martindale was good but I’ve seen a few other manufacturers that seem to offer more features but are they worth it?

Fluke for my money, good solid kit. Bought a kewtech for a trainee and it seems to give erratic results, making beeps and going red when there is no voltage. Another trainee bought himself one and same thing. Anything else is downhill from there.

Megger TPT320 is what I use, decent bit of kit, can pick them up online around £60 and a proving unit around £45.

Megger TPT320 is what I use, decent bit of kit, can pick them up online around £60 and a proving unit around £45.

Megger looks to be a good piece of kit.
[automerge]1601502366[/automerge]
Fluke for my money, good solid kit. Bought a kewtech for a trainee and it seems to give erratic results, making beeps and going red when there is no voltage. Another trainee bought himself one and same thing. Anything else is downhill from there.

Any particular model? I’ve also seen they do a Proving Unit, not sure on that either.
[automerge]1601502435[/automerge]
I also use a drummond tester sometimes to test if there is an induced voltage on a cable as sometimes one will encounter that and it can eliminate confusion as to how something is live when it should not be.

Sounds good, similar to Martindale from the looks of the kits online, obviously better quality.

Martidales are very expensive for what they are but what we are required to use at work, so might be worth checking if your employer has any requirements.

Sorry no the most helpful of posts

Fluke for me, and I use the Megger 690 proving unit which is a solid build with magnetic base. One of our sponsors sells them for about£80 inc. VAT. Buy once...
The same unit here in Spain from RS is listed at €160!

i use the incomin terminals as a proving unit. this tester has phase sequence as well:

And what’s wrong with this then??
Recommendations for a Voltage Indicator and Proving Unit 20201001_091808 - EletriciansForums.net
One of the first jobs when starting, make your own voltage tester, pyro shroud, neon and holder and wire!

Accurate voltage measurement -
dim - not 240v,
normal - 240v,
bright as f - oops 415v

Used for years...

For some reason, it's not the preferred voltage tester now!

Another vote for the megger tpt320
I use a socket and see sp200 proving unit.

Spend on the tester, but proving units are much of a muchness

Looked at this several times and I'm convinced this is housed in a carrot and not a pyro shroud.

Yeah it's a bit old and been sculling round the bottom of a toolbox for years!

If it was a carrot, it would be rotten by now.

I am not sure i want to test it though, how times have changed, it was the right thing to use in the 70's, now scared to use it.
[automerge]1601542322[/automerge]
It does......
Recommendations for a Voltage Indicator and Proving Unit 20201001_095013 - EletriciansForums.net

1977 - 2020 and still working, take that megger/fluke/martindale

Last edited:
....It looks like something at the bottom of a clinical waste bin,in a prostate operating theatre...
[automerge]1601544920[/automerge]
I have the TPT320 and the older TPT220...both very good bits of kit.

I have always used Drummond testers, Especially like their new LED ones. Bombproof.
[automerge]1601546253[/automerge]
And what’s wrong with this then??
Years ago when I was an SAP with a DNO the old Clyde Valley Power Company substations had the original home made testers in them. A Plywood box with two 60W lamps in series inside, holes in the front so you could see the lamps, Substation name signwritten at the top and a special bracket on the wall to hang it on, next to the rack for spare fuses. Wish I had kept one.

Last edited:
I have always used Drummond testers, Especially like their new LED ones. Bombproof.
[automerge]1601546253[/automerge]

Years ago when I was an SAP with a DNO the old Clyde Valley Power Company substations had the original home made testers in them. A Plywood box with two 60W lamps in series inside, holes in the front so you could see the lamps, Substation name signwritten at the top and a special bracket on the wall to hang it on, next to the rack for spare fuses. Wish I had kept one.

I’ve not seen the Drummond ones.

They look good the Drummond Kits:

Reply to Recommendations for a Voltage Indicator and Proving Unit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock