Discuss Recording SPD install on EIC in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Going to be doing my first SPD board next week, single module SPD and 32 amp MCB before the RCD protected circuits.

Can I ask how and where you are recording these on the EIC?
I would probably record the mcb as a circuit as usual labeled spd but unsure what I need to record about the actual spd module, can I just record the details in the comment box for the circuit?

There is nowhere on the Schedule of Test Results for SPD information if that's what you are asking.

You could write in the details of the installation work that an SPD was fitted, but aside from that there's not much else to add. (Don't forget to tick the box RE: the indicator for the SPD in the Schedule of Inspections.

IMHO if you provide OCPD for SPD then the usual test results are required as this would be classed as a new circuit. If no OCPD then only a mention of SPD on the description of works would suffice.

If the SOD is a separate module then test results required for the cabling.

You don't need to record anything about it just reference it as a circuit. IR test is normally a 250v test or it chucks voltage to earth indicating a fault.
You can pull out the SPD modules to eradicate them from insulation testing. Then just slot them back in.

There's a check box on the schedule of inspections regarding operation of SPDs.

Forgive me if I am being dense, please point me in the right direction. (wrong side of 55 and eyes not what they were)

I can see the SPD check on the inspection schedule for EICR's (4.20) but for the life of me I can not see it on the schedule of inspections for the EIC.

Forgive me if I am being dense, please point me in the right direction. (wrong side of 55 and eyes not what they were)

I can see the SPD check on the inspection schedule for EICR's (4.20) but for the life of me I can not see it on the schedule of inspections for the EIC.
7.10 and 7.11 - I'm using NIC certs so not sure whether it's numbered the same on whatever you're using.

Just got the BBB out again and looked at chapter 64 on initial verification.
642.3 states the inspection shall include..... (xix) selection and installation of suitable SPD's where required.

So it seems odd that on the model forms (and the software i use) there is nowhere to record the installation/inspection of the SPD.

May have to ring Stroma/Napit tech support on Monday to see what they say.

I've fitted a few now, I've been recording the MCB as 'SPD OCPD' and the actual SPD simply as 'SPD' in the schedule of test results just because they take up a way in the board and it shows that I've installed one to begin with.
I test the circuit from the MCB as you would any other circuit and just put dashes in the test columns for the SPD way.
I do/did the same with the likes of bell transformers or contactors mounted in the board. Just shows it was I who fitted them and which order everything was in.
Wouldn't be the first time I've done a board and someone has been in after me, butchered everything and then the customer claims its my problem. Test Sheet out, actually I think you'll find I didn't leave it that way. I'll be taking my call out fee now and here's a quote for the remedials. :expressionless:

Reply to Recording SPD install on EIC in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock