Discuss Redundant 6mm Cooker circuit to 4mm radial? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Noob2013

Hi there.

Just a discussion with a colleague.

Is it acceptable to use a redundant 30A cooker circuit wired in 6mm, and downsize to 4mm via JB for a kitchen radial?

For example, if there is one ring supplying a house and you would like to reduce the risk of overloading with all the kicthen appliances.

Obviously new circuit is the best option but would this be acceptable?

Cheers

Hi there.

Just a discussion with a colleague.

Is it acceptable to use a redundant 30A cooker circuit wired in 6mm, and downsize to 4mm via JB for a kitchen radial?

For example, if there is one ring supplying a house and you would like to reduce the risk of overloading with all the kicthen appliances.

Obviously new circuit is the best option but would this be acceptable?

Cheers

What sort of JB do you intend to use, and will it be accessible?

but if a trapdoor is fitted, with the carpet cut and gripper strip applied around the access point? when will the iet define what is accessible? will this be a new edition, another £75.?

The 6mm cable tests out fine. Will be used to supply 4 double sockets and a fcu on a kitchen so not a big load.

It's just an alternative to pulling in a new circuit and also prevents the risk of overloading with the house on one ring.

Needs RCD protection.

Can you get a maintenence free JB for 6mm ?

wago do a 6mm 40A connector. it's how you interpret M/F includeing the enclosure.

wago do a 6mm 40A connector. it's how you interpret M/F includeing the enclosure.

Ideal, just found the wagos.

Wago do the maintenance free JB's but I'm guessing a 6mm and 4mm won't fit easily.

Would you say that this wiring method (with MF JB) is an acceptable alteration?

The only other way other than new circuit or massive alteration is to keep the kitchen on the ring. I'm just concerned about overloading.

Last edited by a moderator:
By my reckoning, with a rewirable fuse the 6mm isn't gonna cut it on a 30A OCPD, let alone a 4mm. You might get away with it on a 20A OCPD depending on your calcs.

Ideal, just found the wagos.

Wago do the maintenance free JB's but I'm guessing a 6mm and 4mm won't fit easily.

Would you say that this wiring method (with MF JB) is an acceptable alteration?

The only other way other than new circuit or massive alteration is to keep the kitchen on the ring. I'm just concerned about overloading.

I would be concerned about the apparent going ahead with this without cable calcs for this alteration. My initial suspicion is that the alteration as you have described will not be suitable or compliant.

Reply to Redundant 6mm Cooker circuit to 4mm radial? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock