Discuss Redundant 6mm Cooker circuit to 4mm radial? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Crikey how did we get to this stage it only started off as a discussion topic, now it looks like the OP is actually doing the job.

So the new regs state that a 4mm radial can be used with bs 3036 OCPD?

So what I proposed to do is perfectly acceptable?

The regs say that cable size is to be determined by calculation. If you do one you will find out whether it complies or not.
Hint: You will find that it won't.

Unless the yellow book is amended, but if it's same as green osg, then yes IMO.

I have the green book and it states you can on bs 3036, so I stand corrected.

Not in table 7.1 which is referenced under table H2.1. Contradictory information as always. Table 7.1 states that the minimum size is 6mm for BS3036 at 30A and only if installed in method C.

Cf will always change cable calcs dramatically so quite how the onsite guide thinks an all encompassing table for all OCPDs and all installation methods will work is beyond me

3b2805ed63b676b506e4775bc1f05d86.jpg

Yellow osg, not permitted

it's the dumbing down syndrome. just bung in a cable big enough for the worst case scenario, no need to do calcs. a bit like fitting 25mm tails after a 60A DNO fuse,

Ok so by replacing the BS3036 with a Wylex plug in 60891, it would then comply?

There are many possible variables that would allow the arrangement to comply. It's up to the designer to choose the most appropriate method of doing so for the use, situation, installation method, and practical application of installation for the circuit.

I notice you are an apprentice. You should get your head into some calculations to find out what will and won't comply for your own education.

I've read the tables in the yellow OSG and 6mm complies with bs3036 but 4mm doesn't.

60898 does comply.

The current carrying capacity is acceptable for 4mm.

The length of circuit is approx 30 metres and will be supplying 5 double sockets. It's clipped direct.

The only issue I can see is the protective device.

I've read the tables in the yellow OSG and 6mm complies with bs3036 but 4mm doesn't.

60898 does comply.

The current carrying capacity is acceptable for 4mm.

The length of circuit is approx 30 metres and will be supplying 5 double sockets. It's clipped direct.

The only issue I can see is the protective device.
Method c only.

Reply to Redundant 6mm Cooker circuit to 4mm radial? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net