Discuss Registration fees with Stroma!!!!! in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

They are extracting the Michael there just a fraction I think.:whatchutalkingabout
Certainly not the response I would expect from a professional body.
I believe that they get the fees we pay to cover their costs, to charge more, especially without clear explanation, is very unprofessional.

I rang Stroma and they have said the annual fee is indeed £240 + VAT but they have charged me an additional £240 + VAT because I live in Stroud and they would have to travel 3 hours to get to me and stay over night in a hotel!!

I explained politely I would not be paying for them to stay in a hotel and would join another scheme unless they brought the price down to the advertised £240 + VAT.

They said they would think about it and get back to me! I rang the other schemes and they all said they would not charge for a hotel!!!!

That really takes the biscuit.

Why should yoube expected to pay for their short comings?

I rang Stroma and they have said the annual fee is indeed £240 + VAT but they have charged me an additional £240 + VAT because I live in Stroud and they would have to travel 3 hours to get to me and stay over night in a hotel!!

I explained politely I would not be paying for them to stay in a hotel and would join another scheme unless they brought the price down to the advertised £240 + VAT.

They said they would think about it and get back to me! I rang the other schemes and they all said they would not charge for a hotel!!!!

WTF??????????????????????????

Boydy

Just thought I'd end the thread!

After a few e-mails back and forth they brought the price down to £380 + VAT restating that a full days visit was still required due to legth of travel. I replied that I would not be renewing and (as Marvo suggested) it did not seem appropriate as a national sceme provider to charge differing amounts based on location and the price was not as advertised (as Richard showed).

Then I had a decent, straight forward e-mail from the head chap apologising and stating the the team had made a mistake and the price should be as advertised £240 + VAT!!

All a bit odd really!

still 240 + vat not bad i might leave elecsa as no one cares about part p anyways they just want it done cheap and legal. my monney is supposed to come out my bank tommorow @ total £444.00 could save myself £150.00

Just thought I'd end the thread!

After a few e-mails back and forth they brought the price down to £380 + VAT restating that a full days visit was still required due to legth of travel. I replied that I would not be renewing and (as Marvo suggested) it did not seem appropriate as a national sceme provider to charge differing amounts based on location and the price was not as advertised (as Richard showed).

Then I had a decent, straight forward e-mail from the head chap apologising and stating the the team had made a mistake and the price should be as advertised £240 + VAT!!

All a bit odd really!
yeah....
well NIC is £370 plus vat...

still 240 + vat not bad i might leave elecsa as no one cares about part p anyways they just want it done cheap and legal. my monney is supposed to come out my bank tommorow @ total £444.00 could save myself £150.00
no....
your not saving anything...
its just that your having to part with a bit less...thats all

its like the man who puts £80 into the bandit....then gets £20 back ...and thinks he`s won...

Have now had a phone call from the head man apologising and giving an explanation. Seems their just a bit new at this national scheme business and hadn't really formulated a policy around location. After receiving an e-mail from another disgruntled electrician they realised they'd got it a bit wrong and would now be charging a flat rate (£240) regardless of location!

I feel like Emily Pankhurst.... not a very good analogy but couldn't think of anyone else off hand!

I have created change in the system!!! :smile:

Have now had a phone call from the head man apologising and giving an explanation. Seems their just a bit new at this national scheme business and hadn't really formulated a policy around location. After receiving an e-mail from another disgruntled electrician they realised they'd got it a bit wrong and would now be charging a flat rate (£240) regardless of location!

I feel like Emily Pankhurst.... not a very good analogy but couldn't think of anyone else off hand!

just dont be throwing yourself under any horses...

oh, sorry that was the other one wasn`t it...

Jeez, that's unbelievable! I can't believe they actually put that. Words fail me. I mean.... well, it's like, erm. ... No, it's no good. ..... Daz

One for the little guy!
Good work!

When they set up they did seem very disorganised and definitely geared to solar only for electrical, then things changed and they seemed to cover everyone , but I think the disorganisation is still there behind the scenes.

Unfortunately I can see that once they have got their act together regarding covering the nation effectively, they will then see that this is costing them and may well increase their prices!!

One for the little guy!
Good work!

When they set up they did seem very disorganised and definitely geared to solar only for electrical, then things changed and they seemed to cover everyone , but I think the disorganisation is still there behind the scenes.

Unfortunately I can see that once they have got their act together regarding covering the nation effectively, they will then see that this is costing them and may well increase their prices!!
nowt to do with costing them...

its all about what they can get..

if in doubt..ask to see a breakdown of costs to them per visit...

The more I read, the more I realise what a mess we're all in with these schemes! We've been fully approved with the NIC since 1994. More people have heard of Trust a Trader.com than the NICEIC!

nowt to do with costing them...

its all about what they can get..

if in doubt..ask to see a breakdown of costs to them per visit...

actually you might be surprised.
£150 a day to pay the assessor's wages/overheads etc. He can only really do one assessment a day (even if they are scheduled at 1/2 day).
200 miles at 45p a mile = £90. And that is probably low because stroma obviously don't have too many assessors so they are going to have to travel a long way.
That is the standard fee right there.

Then add the overhead of head office, marketing, accounts, tech support etc etc and you suddenly find that stroma aren't actually making any profit out of it.......

I'm not saying it is good value to us sparks but I can see where the costs come from. Clearly gasafe can be a lot cheaper purely because they don't assess every year - a huge cost saving to them.

well for a start....assessors carry out 2 assessments a day...

what we need now is a similar setup then to gassafe....
if you dont have the quals...(and i dont mean just the 17th ed)...then you cant come in.....said it before....saying it again..

thats what needs to happen now....

stop the Electrical Trainee...
stop the Electrical Trainee courses...
assessments like the gas safe lads have....

seeeemples..

well for a start....assessors carry out 2 assessments a day...

what we need now is a similar setup then to gassafe....
if you dont have the quals...(and i dont mean just the 17th ed)...then you cant come in.....said it before....saying it again..

thats what needs to happen now....

stop the Electrical Trainee...
stop the Electrical Trainee courses...
assessments like the gas safe lads have....

seeeemples..

Not if they work for stroma and have to travel all over the country I bet ;)

I agree but some of us qualified before NVQ's and in my case with the EITB in 1986 and although I have kept up with the 16th and 17th amnd 1 and have the certs NICEIC and NAPIT insist I have 2391 or 2394/5 even the JIB wont recognise the EITB now so there needs to be something in place for us old boys

Reply to Registration fees with Stroma!!!!! in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net