Discuss Replacing Ceiling Rose with Remote Controlled Fan in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

apefray

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

Could you please offer a bit of advice regarding the following:

We currently have a ceiling rose which is connected to a wall switch and Pull switch i.e. 2 way switching in the old colours. I understand how everything is connected, but, we are replacing the ceiling rose with a remote controlled fan/light.

My question is, if I disconnect the feed from the fuse box lighting circuit to the rose and feed this to the fan/light (as it needs a permanent live connection), can I leave the wiring to the two switches as they are for the time being? I believe once the feed from the fuse box to the rose is removed and rerouted to the new fan/light, there will be no power present on the circuit to the rose and leaving the wiring as it is would be no problem.

Oh, and I should make it clear that the rose is still in the ceiling near the window and will be left as is for now, just removing the pendant and will not be used again. The fan/light is a new installation in the middle of the room and Im just looking for a feed for it.

first check in the existing light rose. see if there's a permanent L. a pic. would help.

Thanks for the reply telectrix.

I will upload a photo shortly, but in the rose we have two cables, on the feed side the black wire is connected to the neutral of the pendant, and the red wire is connected to the 3 terminal block in the middle which then feeds the switches via a second cable (red wires).

On the right hand side, we have the black cable from the second cable which is connected to the brown cable of the pendant. So my thinking is, once I remove the feed from the fuse box, then the rose and switches will be dead as there is no feed going into the rose. I will then use this feed and route to the new fan/light as a permanent feed as it is remote controlled instead.

I just want to check before I use the feed, to make sure it isn't going to cause any issues with the switches or the rest of the lighting circuit upstairs, hence why I believe, once I remove the feed from the fuse box, the pendant and switches will be dead.

as you describe it, the centre terminal of the rose is perm. L. use this and the N to feed your fan. you can then disconnect the switch wire ( usually a T/Efrom centre terminal (red) to the light flex (brown) with the black of that T/E sleeveed red). don't forget the cpc's (earths).

Here you go, a photo.

The easiest option for now is to remove the feed from the fuse box and reroute the the fan/light and leave everything else as it in the rose and switches. IMG_20200524_180535.jpg

The cable on the left is the feed from the fuse box, the cable on the right goes to the wall switch and pull switch.

take your feed from the middle (L), and the left (N). then the existing light will still work on the switch/es. and your fan has a L and N feed. ( don't forget the earths).

And what if the existing light will be redundant? Once we have the fan/light running I will remove the pendant hanging from the rose as it will be surplus to requirements?

I guess it doesn't matter regardless, as once the pendant is removed and the fan/light has a permanent feed, then using the switch or pull switch will have now effect anyway.

One last question, but if I take a feed from the rose, should I use twin & earth or will flex be ok to use? The only reason I ask is that I have a reel of flex to hand, otherwise im going to have to go out and purchase twin & earth?
[automerge]1590346366[/automerge]
FYI, I need a length of about 2m from the rose to the fan/light, running in the loft, so I'm thinking flex cable will be fine

Last edited:

Reply to Replacing Ceiling Rose with Remote Controlled Fan in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net