Currently reading:
Rewire and regulations on smoke alarms

Discuss Rewire and regulations on smoke alarms in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wedmonds

Hi All,

My house is undergoing a full rewire.

As I would like smoke alarms, is it a requirement to have them wired in or can i simply put up the battery ones? I know the law on new builds is that they have to be wired in but really dont want to stretch to the extra cost if i dont have to.

Thanking you!

Regards

wedmonds

Had a quick look at Approved Document B and it seems to focus on 'new dwelling houses'

Personally, I'd find the cash and have a basic grade D system installed, it's a doddle during a rewire!

I would put mains powered smokes and heat in kitchen, interlinked of course. . If your having the rewire and house in a mess, just go that extra bit and put them in.
My views only though and I always put them in refurbs I carry out.
Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Sav

It IS in document B, all new and refurbished dwelling houses.

It also asks for interlinking.

I did say I took a 'quick' look :)

Great thank you.

OK so it sounds like its best to do it.

I dont understand what interlinked is, can you explain a little more.

What is the best setup for a kitchen and for the rooms etc?

I will get my local sparky to do the work but want to understand what i am asking :)

Thanks again.

Interlinked means that if say the 1st floor detector is activated, the ground floor detector also sounds.

There are a few criteria to determine the minimum requirents, ask your electrician to show you the On-Site Guide, page 65.

Basically, interlinked means that the smokes are "linked" together via the wiring.
So, if one starts to sound, it triggers the other ones to start as well. So whether your upstairs sleeping etc, you get an advanced warning before its too late.

Kitchen needs a heat detector, then landings would need a smoke alarm each (on each landing that is ).
I would recommened Aico, as we fit them regularly and they are very reliable. Also, they have a battery back up, in case of power failure, your alarms can carry on working.

Sav

Aico 161's!!

Mains powered with lithium rechargeable battery back.

Should last up to 10 years without changing a battery.

I fit nothing but these now and the clients love it.

May also pay to have a remote switch fitted somewhere, especially if they are not easy to reach.

This would allow you to hush a false alarm and carry out a test, without having to reach the detectors.

Reply to Rewire and regulations on smoke alarms in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock