Discuss Rewiring lighting circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

currie123

Hi guys

Wondered if anyone still uses the joint box method of Rewiring a lighting circuit?

For example on an occupied upstairs downstairs house where you are Rewiring upstairs lighting circuit using existing conduit drops to switches.

I am attempting to price such a job and reason I ask is I think I would struggle to get 3 1.5mm cables down the old conduit drops, obviously I can loop in at lights but with all these fancy fittings nowadays having 3 cables at the fittings is a pain!

If wiring using joint box method then it would be located in the loft space in a suitably accessible position, any thoughts?

Cheers

i would loop at the lights and where necessary use a line enclosure (see line products, forum sponsor) in the attic above the light/s. far easier and quicker than using screw terminal boxes.

Okay tel thanks what about wago boxes as opposed to line? Wagos are good not used line before yet.

Sounds okay I just can imagine having to use these boxes above 3/4 of the fittings which doesn't sound the best ?

We usually take it all (via clever pulling and use of trucking lids as rods) too a wiring centre full of push ins/ crimps, most cost effective way when it comes to too much laminate, loft junk and chipboard

wago boxes are fie, . also, as fin says, you could take several lights and switch wires to an adaptable box wiring centre and fit wagos in that.

Hi guys

Wondered if anyone still uses the joint box method of Rewiring a lighting circuit?

For example on an occupied upstairs downstairs house where you are Rewiring upstairs lighting circuit using existing conduit drops to switches.

I am attempting to price such a job and reason I ask is I think I would struggle to get 3 1.5mm cables down the old conduit drops, obviously I can loop in at lights but with all these fancy fittings nowadays having 3 cables at the fittings is a pain!

If wiring using joint box method then it would be located in the loft space in a suitably accessible position, any thoughts?

Cheers
no....its nothing short of an atrocious method of wiring lighting systems....loads of cables stuffed into joints....joints inaccessable for inspection....just gets worse the more i think about it.....

can't beat a good bit of spider wiring with nothing marked and all cables buried under 2ft of itchy-poo. sorts the men out from the boys fault finding.

just been to one of them type of set ups...!!!

turned out to be a connector block that come loose...!!! stripped it out and replaced it with a click fitting i had in my pocket!!

lol.... better than connector block..! lol.. could not be bothered to walk to van and get wagos

Ha ha ok guys cheers i think il either go for the loop in at lights and joint above fittings as required with line or wago boxes if I get the job that is!

Reply to Rewiring lighting circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock