Discuss rewiring trailer for catering purposes...advice please !!!!!!!!!!!!! in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jules27

hello there , got a few questions about this ...
It is for a catering trailer so larger than normal consumption . I was thinking (this might be overkill ) Inlet 64 amp commando socket underneath trailer , 16mm tails ,63a /30ma RCD mainswitch , 32a RCBO , 16a RCBO , 6a RCBO. lighting on 1.5mm 6a and power on 4mm 32a .Questions are will 16mm tails fit into 64 amp commando?
, will my sockets be able to accomodate 2x4mm in each terminal ?
. Load not really specified yet but 2 chest freezers ,onefridge , waffle maker , coffee machine , would like to put an outside socket on end of radial aswell , is a 16 a ok or just a wether proof 13a better?
Will i need to provide an earth spike as it will often be connected to a genny ?
Thinking lots of bonding important as it is metal trailer ........
Also lastly ....What flexible cable can be recommended to use ?....

all answers greatfully recieved

suggest you calculate load of appliances first. 16mm and 64A seems excessive to me for what you will be running. i once owned a similar setr-up, rented out and the electric supply was from a 3kva genny. that's only 13A

Last edited:
Well you will come under section 717 of the regualtions and if you have a copy of these then a good look at this section will be adviseable.

The connection point of a 63amp commando socket is fine as it needs to be of BS 60309-2. I personally have never tried to fit 16mm^ tails into a Bs 60309-2 and if your thinknig of that much power it might pay you to look for 3 phase 32amp type.

Not sure why you are concidering a 63mA RCD main protection device and then using RCBO's either use the RCBO's and just a main double pole switch, or the RCD with double pole switch and MCBs

Yes you should easily get 2x4mm^ cables into socket outlets, I assume you are going to use BS 1363 sockets for the smaller appliances and commando for anything larger.

Yes you can use either a dedicated BS 1363 waterproof socket or the BS 30309-2 as they are both IP44 rated. Personally I would use the BS 1363 as it can utilise a fused plug top.

All bonding as in the home will need to bond to the MET that includes the chassis and all bonding cable must be of fine strand H05V-K and HVO7V-K to BS 6004.

Insude the unit cable to BS 6004, 7211 and & 7919 can be used as either singles in conduit or as sheathed cables, basically it is stranded cable.

Finally I can't really help about the generator part. I would have thought if your using a generating set as sole means of supply then it would need earthing

thanks for the replies , maybe ill scale down to a 32amp commando socket like you said and 6/10amp cables into the board.

thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to rewiring trailer for catering purposes...advice please !!!!!!!!!!!!! in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net