Discuss Ring final circuit vs Radial final circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

4mm rad ideal in gally kitchens where kitchen fitters/etc need all high load appliances on one leg of a 2.5 mm ring /or any other kitchen

RING ISSUES AGAIN...I'm sure I've said this before but not on this thread...Anyway.I had to do some work in a house,moving a socket for the tv amp or something.My apprentice was at the consumer unit switching off,then back on again,the mcbs one at a time coz nothing was labled at the consumer unit. But the socket tester's neon indicators failed to extinguish. My apprentice was also leaving me in the dark as he was switching off 6amp mcbs too.So we swopped,me at the board end and him at the socket.I switched all the mcbs off except one 32amp and it was still live,then I flicked the last one off too and he yelled down to me that,that was it.So I flicked everything back on except that last mcb,only to find when I'd got back to the socket that it was live again(the hard way)...swearing profusly at my"thick" apprentice,I made my way back down to the cu and knocked the other 32amp mcb off and the first one back on again,then back up to the attic again,the attic socket(still live?) just had one cable at it...a spur off the house ring..It took a wee while before it sunk in that in order to isolate this circuit it was necessary to operate two breakers and later found out the same applied to the kitchen ring too.....The two ring legs had been interconnected,outgoing house ring leg connected to return leg from kitchen,at the mcb and return house ring connected to outgoing kitchen leg.It was impossable to switch off any socket via a single mcb. Ever since that I've gone off rings...Pity someone wouldn't enlighten the designers and engineers who do the drawings for us to follow, of the HAZZARDS of(improperly tested) ring circuits.

RING ISSUES AGAIN...I'm sure I've said this before but not on this thread...Anyway.I had to do some work in a house,moving a socket for the tv amp or something.My apprentice was at the consumer unit switching off,then back on again,the mcbs one at a time coz nothing was labled at the consumer unit. But the socket tester's neon indicators failed to extinguish. My apprentice was also leaving me in the dark as he was switching off 6amp mcbs too.So we swopped,me at the board end and him at the socket.I switched all the mcbs off except one 32amp and it was still live,then I flicked the last one off too and he yelled down to me that,that was it.So I flicked everything back on except that last mcb,only to find when I'd got back to the socket that it was live again(the hard way)...swearing profusly at my"thick" apprentice,I made my way back down to the cu and knocked the other 32amp mcb off and the first one back on again,then back up to the attic again,the attic socket(still live?) just had one cable at it...a spur off the house ring..It took a wee while before it sunk in that in order to isolate this circuit it was necessary to operate two breakers and later found out the same applied to the kitchen ring too.....The two ring legs had been interconnected,outgoing house ring leg connected to return leg from kitchen,at the mcb and return house ring connected to outgoing kitchen leg.It was impossable to switch off any socket via a single mcb. Ever since that I've gone off rings...Pity someone wouldn't enlighten the designers and engineers who do the drawings for us to follow, of the HAZZARDS of(improperly tested) ring circuits.

Why would they need to do that?? They are expecting the installation to be installed by competent qualified electricians, not by some knob who was stacking shelves a few weeks previously!!

glad its not only me has had this problem! working on my own i use a "singing plugin tester"
agree with all your comments

I don't really get what you're saying. Because at some point some idiot has joined up two circuits, how is that a problem with ring circuits in general? Someone could just as easily join two radials, or two lighting circuits. If a ring is designed and installed properly then it is a very versatile and useful circuit. What happens years down the line when some fool messes with it isn't a refection on the circuit itself.

I don't really get what you're saying. Because at some point some idiot has joined up two circuits, how is that a problem with ring circuits in general? Someone could just as easily join two radials, or two lighting circuits. If a ring is designed and installed properly then it is a very versatile and useful circuit. What happens years down the line when some fool messes with it isn't a refection on the circuit itself.
I have encountered this problem as well. Each leg of a ring main in a different mcb. Whoever wired the circuit made a mistake. At least with radial circuits this cannot happen.

It might be old but it's still relevant and one of those discussions that comes up time and again, like exporting an earth to an outbuilding.

Re wrong connections like above...........been going for years..........With just the old 4 way Wylex fuse boxes, with 1 x cooker 1 x ring 1 x imm/htr 1 x light circuits, many electricians would connect one leg of the ring with the IMM/HTR circuit and the other leg of the ring would then be on its own 15amp fuse...........so nothing new! lol

Reply to Ring final circuit vs Radial final circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock