Discuss Sealing a consumer unit entry points?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
If You are going to mount the CU on wood then just paint the wood in a fire retardant paint first.

I paint it in something like this, you can get it cheaper than quoted on the link.
I bought a tin a while back and coated a few sheets of ply, I then just cut out what I need for the CU then touch in the cut edges with the paint.
Its probably a bit over kill, but for a few extra quid it gives me peace of mind. I print off the data sheet to the paint and put it in with the EICR.

Why bother, the new CU being metal, means it won't catch fire :)

Yeah......but with the class of some of todays terminations...:(…….and some working on 'em...:(:(
Sometime people are over tightening the terminals and they’re damaging the cable connection hence why they want us to us Torque screwdrivers
Why don’t manufacturers just make a ‘19th addition’ non combustion bomb and fire proof surface mounting accessory for domesticated consumer unit wiring.

Kind like a surface wiring patters just much larger and supply with it a tube of flame retardant sealant to caulk in any gaps or holes
why do we just line the CU with asbestos!!

Sometime people are over tightening the terminals and they’re damaging the cable connection hence why they want us to us Torque screwdrivers

why do we just line the CU with asbestos!!

Near every site sparks I watch doing a consumer unit , uses an impact driver anyway (and no I’m not joking) annoyingly I can’t find the video but there was a new build sparks on you tube who installed a brand new 17th Ed consumer unit using nothing but an impact driver.

Box it in using asbestos would probably achieve a better fire rating ?

Last edited:
To be fair you can only act on the information you have and from the little bit of the video I watched it sounds like he got duff information on his course.

To be fair you can only act on the information you have and from the little bit of the video I watched it sounds like he got duff information on his course.
Totally agree. He comes across as one that listens to whatever is said to them then spits it back out without thought. It's a common trait in our industry these days. So much misinformation about. I really think the IET needs to be more proactive with publicly clarifying information related to regulation changes. This could only benefit the industry.

I’m glad my videos bring awareness to such grey areas in the industry. This is exactly why I make videos on a public format so they get shared around and discussed. Appreciate any feedback good or bad. Even though some of you guys are damn right nasty without even knowing me.

Hi Chris

I am a fan of you videoblogs

I think you do a good job of explaining what you are doing and why you are doing it

Keep up the vids mate

Maintaining the fire integrity of a metal consumer unit surely is common sense no?
My jtl guy that did our 18th is also an NICEIC inspector he was very passionate about fire safety to the point we should also be fitting intumescent pads in the back of plastic boxes in stud partitions. A little added protection never hurts anyone and for the sake of £2.89 I will continue to do so.

Did this genius of an inspector tell you where in the Regulations that additional fire protection must be put in place. The Regulations state they should be constructed from non-combustible materials. It should be remembered a consumer unit enclosure is not a fire barrier but just a non-combustible enclosure. To manufacture a consumer unit which acts as a fire barrier would not be practical or cost effective.

As has been mentioned before the CU's are now manufactured from non-combustible material therefore there's nothing to combust therefore fire-sealing is not required.

As has been mentioned before the CU's are now manufactured from non-combustible material therefore there's nothing to combust therefore fire-sealing is not required.

What about all the items within the CU that can combust?

I can see merit in sealing any large gaps or holes in the top or sides of the board ,
1 to maintain the correct IP rating
2 to improve any lost fire integrity

But I personally think all this fuss about avoiding plastic boxes , plastic clips , plastic wall plugs and plastic glands is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Maintaining the fire integrity of a metal consumer unit surely is common sense no?
My jtl guy that did our 18th is also an NICEIC inspector he was very passionate about fire safety to the point we should also be fitting intumescent pads in the back of plastic boxes in stud partitions. A little added protection never hurts anyone and for the sake of £2.89 I will continue to do so.
Hi Chris

Where will this end it’s not a building regulation or more a wiring regulation to fit intumescent pads in drywall boxes, it’s just someone’s take on the regs not actually the regs.

If it was a regulation for fire integrity the edges of the CU would have intumescent seals also the hinged lid would too, most manufacturers have top hinges to stop the spread of fire but the odd manufacturer has bottom hinge with a magnetic catch fire could spread from the front but like I say it’s NOT a regulation to seal it.

Makes no sense to seal everything it makes the job harder for the next man to come along when he’s adding the extension etc

Lee

Why bother, the new CU being metal, means it won't catch fire :)

Because I've have OCD's :D

I also worked on a building where a metal control board set on fire inside and the heat was intense enough for the wooden partition next to it to spontaneously com-busted, even though the flames did not escape the metal enclosure. I was quite astonished by this at the time and it stuck in my mind.

Because I've have OCD's :D

I also worked on a building where a metal control board set on fire inside and the heat was intense enough for the wooden partition next to it to spontaneously com-busted, even though the flames did not escape the metal enclosure. I was quite astonished by this at the time and it stuck in my mind.

So in effect, you form a chimney in a plastic flammable material, (I'm assuming plastic as I've never seen sticky back metal trunking), with an opening from the CU into the chimney? Bit like cladding a tower block??
I use the sticky trunking to stand my metal clad consumer unit off the wall or wooden back board so my cables all enter the board through the rear entry holes so that flames from this non existent fire can’t escape the CU, I very rarely knock a knock out of either the sides or top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sealing a consumer unit entry points?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock