Discuss seperate light circuit not going through main isolator on control panel in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

iwols

-
Reaction score
Hi just wondered if someone could clarify the regs for me,got a control panel feeding a machine isolated by a three phase isolator which also turns the lighting off ,but we need the lighting to remain on when the isolator is switched off,what are the current regs regarding this thanks

I think there are a number of regs concering such a situation, mostly common sense really. Separation of circuits, appropriate overcurrent protection (doesn't seem it has that) EAWR adequate lighting and access to equipment (obvious safety reasons) But really it seems it would be more apt. to consider what to do about it to satisfy the above and the practical requirements. To which end a photo would help. Is there a fused spur for the lighting? A bit more information would help. If the lighting is on the same power supply as three phase machinery that seems dangerous.

Are the lights in the Panel or machine?
What voltage are the lights?

It's not unusual to have a socket / supply for panel lights and or supply for Building Management Control supplied from the live side of the panel isolator, suitably marked of course.

Are the lights in the Panel or machine?
What voltage are the lights?

It's not unusual to have a socket / supply for panel lights and or supply for Building Management Control supplied from the live side of the panel isolator, suitably marked of course.
Is it a rotating machine? does the light shine on the machine, could be the light is there to negate the stroboscopic effect of the rotating machine.

So am I ok coming off the live supply of the isolator on the main panel through a circuit breaker then straight to a switch on the machine for the lights,using Orange cable where possible,what would you mark the isolator up as thanks

So am I ok coming off the live supply of the isolator on the main panel through a circuit breaker then straight to a switch on the machine for the lights,using Orange cable where possible,what would you mark the isolator up as thanks
i think this would be fine, the regs say to make installations safe and convenient, stick to that and youre golden pretty much

to me it makes sense to have the light on even if the machines motor itself is isolated, if some jobsworth that wears a tie were to get tangled in the machine, that light would come in handy when the isolator is pressed

Reply to seperate light circuit not going through main isolator on control panel in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net