Discuss Sizing mains tails in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

DanBrown

Can anyone shed a bit of light on correct sizing of mains tails...
I am always let to believe that all cables need to be protected by the correct size fuse...
So i know in a domestic that 25mm2 is the minimum permitted cable CSA and can take 114 Amps.
What happens in a commercial building for example and has a 300A service head??, according to OSG the closest to match 300A is 95mm2 CSA and that can only take 284A.. What is the correct size to use?:)
Thanks in advance guys..

I would think that you have 100A per phase, so in which case 25mm tails and 16mm M.E. would be fine.

Hi Dan
300a per phase is 35mm they will always fit these to anything from 100A to 300A and CT whole currant ! only time this changes is in some factories where they dont norm have meters they fit a small sub station near/next to building which is 400A and run 50mm into building for supply !
Regards
Kung.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes but we only use very small amounts compared to the millions of meters the DNO use so every little helps !
Regards
Kung

Reply to Sizing mains tails in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock