Discuss smoke alarms compulsary on a board change in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

so from what i've read so far tonight (electricians guide to the building regs) it looks like i need to fit one at the bottom of the stairs and the top of the stairs. no reg states i have to install a HD in the kitchen it's just advised

another thing, I always thought it was acceptable to wire it in T&E for radio bases and 3 core if interlinking. i've used red stuff when i had it provided but never bothered buying it for my own jobs, am i right in thinking that the use or red cable is only advised, and not mandatory?
and another thing, page 123 of the electricians guide to the building regs it says

"otherwise, fire alarm system cables generally are required to be fire resistant and segregated per BS5839-1 and BS5839-6 to minimise adverse effects from :

installation cable faults, fire on other circuits, electromagnetic interference and mechanical damage"

so whats all this about?

another thing, I always thought it was acceptable to wire it in T&E for radio bases and 3 core if interlinking. i've used red stuff when i had it provided but never bothered buying it for my own jobs, am i right in thinking that the use or red cable is only advised, and not mandatory?
and another thing, page 123 of the electricians guide to the building regs it says

"otherwise, fire alarm system cables generally are required to be fire resistant and segregated per BS5839-1 and BS5839-6 to minimise adverse effects from :

installation cable faults, fire on other circuits, electromagnetic interference and mechanical damage"

so whats all this about?

This is not my field but it's not a fire alarm system ? Thats a different ball game, FP200 is the usual I see for those systems
J

If you run alarm cables (the signalling one, in particular) alongside another cable you can get "false triggering" due to induction. Used to be particularly noticeable if you ran a lighting circuit with florries alongside the alarm cable.

BTW I think that if run from the lighting circuit it should have a separate means of isolation (not a reg, but in the on site guide), the ability to remove the head from base should satisfy that.

This is not my field but it's not a fire alarm system ? Thats a different ball game, FP200 is the usual I see for those systems
J

yep your right, it's been a long night i missed the paragraph before:

"other than for large houses, the cable for the power supply to each self contained unit and for the interconnections between self contained units need have no fire survival properties, and needs no special segregation"

but i'd still like to know the line on red sheathed cable for smoke/heat detectors. is it compulsory? ( i really hope it isn't!)

The bloke who talks alot is talkin out his arse!
No need to install smoke alarms on a db change wwhatsoever if you rewire a property it's best to install mains smokes if customer goes for them
and extensions labc want to see smokes interlinked so they all work when they press the button on the smoke. That's there little toy cause they don't know anything else with electrics other than the logo on the cert

and sorry for causing confusion, i when i say red stuff i meant red sheathed T&E or 3C&E as opposedto grey sheathed . i've never used FP apart from in college!

For domestic grade D, category LD2 to BS5839-6:2004 on a 'normal' two story house existing property you need mains powered alarms, battery backed and all interlinked, either off of it's own circuit, or each off a well used lighting circuit, this may be wired in either T+E if radio link, or 3+E if hardwire interlinked.

Hallway,landing, and living room either optical or mixed mode and a heat alarm in the kitchen, this is from Aico's Electrical contractors hand book, it goes further to state that a heat alarm may be required in an integral (to house) garage, and either a mixed mode or ionisation alarm in bedrooms, the former point is the minimum required, the latter may be required by the LABC.

For new builds, as above except the living room may be optional.

I have just fitted Aico's wireless ones on a rental property, and BC wanted six in total fitting.

The LABC can be a law unto themselves, so it is better to ask them what they require.

Edit: forgot to answer the original question, No you don't have to fit smokes on a CU change.

Last edited:
Ex-Army, who are you registered with ?

Elecsa have a downloadable BS5839-6:2004 installation cert, and some guidence on this subject, I cannot speak for other schemes.

The Aico website is a useful resource, I don't know if anyone has already posted the link, but here it is.

http://www.aico.co.uk/electrical-contractor.html

Last edited:
spark-68 i'm with elecsa, thanks for the link that looks like all i will ever need to know about smoke alarms! anyway, today i phoned building control and they are coming out to look at it tomorrow morn but on the phone he said it looks like there is no requirement at all, it's just optional. they said as the extension is not altering the access to the building, the the kitchen is not being nknocked trhough into the downstairs circulation area, and there are no mains smokes installed currently then theres no need. god knows why it's on the plan, architect must have just felt like putting one in for the hell of it

spark-68 i'm with elecsa, thanks for the link that looks like all i will ever need to know about smoke alarms! anyway, today i phoned building control and they are coming out to look at it tomorrow morn but on the phone he said it looks like there is no requirement at all, it's just optional. they said as the extension is not altering the access to the building, the the kitchen is not being nknocked trhough into the downstairs circulation area, and there are no mains smokes installed currently then theres no need. god knows why it's on the plan, architect must have just felt like putting one in for the hell of it

Good feedback, sadly missing from the majority of threads on here!

BC went there today, i was on a board change elsewhere but spoke to the builder and there is no requirement for mains smoke alarms. good job as the ceiling was already boarded!

Reply to smoke alarms compulsary on a board change in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock