Discuss smoke alarms compulsary on a board change in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

For domestic grade D, category LD2 to BS5839-6:2004 on a 'normal' two story house existing property you need mains powered alarms, battery backed and all interlinked, either off of it's own circuit, or each off a well used lighting circuit, this may be wired in either T+E if radio link, or 3+E if hardwire interlinked.

Hallway,landing, and living room either optical or mixed mode and a heat alarm in the kitchen, this is from Aico's Electrical contractors hand book, it goes further to state that a heat alarm may be required in an integral (to house) garage, and either a mixed mode or ionisation alarm in bedrooms, the former point is the minimum required, the latter may be required by the LABC.

For new builds, as above except the living room may be optional.

I have just fitted Aico's wireless ones on a rental property, and BC wanted six in total fitting.

The LABC can be a law unto themselves, so it is better to ask them what they require.

Edit: forgot to answer the original question, No you don't have to fit smokes on a CU change.

Last edited:
spark-68 i'm with elecsa, thanks for the link that looks like all i will ever need to know about smoke alarms! anyway, today i phoned building control and they are coming out to look at it tomorrow morn but on the phone he said it looks like there is no requirement at all, it's just optional. they said as the extension is not altering the access to the building, the the kitchen is not being nknocked trhough into the downstairs circulation area, and there are no mains smokes installed currently then theres no need. god knows why it's on the plan, architect must have just felt like putting one in for the hell of it

spark-68 i'm with elecsa, thanks for the link that looks like all i will ever need to know about smoke alarms! anyway, today i phoned building control and they are coming out to look at it tomorrow morn but on the phone he said it looks like there is no requirement at all, it's just optional. they said as the extension is not altering the access to the building, the the kitchen is not being nknocked trhough into the downstairs circulation area, and there are no mains smokes installed currently then theres no need. god knows why it's on the plan, architect must have just felt like putting one in for the hell of it

Good feedback, sadly missing from the majority of threads on here!

BC went there today, i was on a board change elsewhere but spoke to the builder and there is no requirement for mains smoke alarms. good job as the ceiling was already boarded!

Reply to smoke alarms compulsary on a board change in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net