Discuss Smoke Detectors - Own Circuit or Lighting? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Spudnik

As on another thread, smokes on their own or from lighting circuit?

Must admit, i would install them alongside a regularly used lighting circuit.

So what would you do?

As on other thread, try telling that to The Man from Wylex, who says thay should go on their own RCBO.

Local lighting circuit every time
They have a supply which is then much better monitored, because it would be very noticeable if the lights go out rather than an mcb that could be off for ever

If you are using a 17th Edition dual RCD board then surely it could stay as a dedicated circuit as it will go out when it's side of the board trips. People would notice half the house is out and know that the smokes are out also??

Good point!! It doesn't say that you have to put it on the lighting circuit, only recommends if I remember rightly. Its only my mate was talking about it the other day.

The thing is, I have just finished testing a rewire for my inspection on friday and my smokes are on dedicated 6a supply. Will I fail or will he just recommed I do it differently next time? Dont really want to do another test session as I feel shattered after doing it today!!

I would put on a local lighting circuit
Surely if they are on a dedicated supply which trips, then they would beep when the batteries cut in?

If you are using a 17th Edition dual RCD board then surely it could stay as a dedicated circuit as it will go out when it's side of the board trips. People would notice half the house is out and know that the smokes are out also??
Always put smokes on RCBO by the main switch on split board so that if the RCD trips the smokes are still on.I never put smokes on an RCD protected circuit

Had my ELECSA assessment yesterday and passed. The assessor mentioned it was preferable to put the smoke alarms on a lighting circuit. Thing is, in the building regs Document B 1.19 about power supplies(in brief) it says can be supplied either direct from the board or from a lighting circuit, but there should be a means of isolating power to the smoke alarms without isolating the lighting. What's the difference? The smoke alarms could still get left switched off :-o Although I agree you would notice if a fault made the lights go out. I'm thinking I should supply one light (such as the hall) from the RCBO for the smoke alarms and in addition to labelling up the board correctly, stick a note on the board warning that the hall light is seperate from the rest of downstairs lights.

I put it on a dedicated circuit as mentioned above the smoke's i use they bleep when no power is present and being run on batterys, just the way i do it.

What is the advantage of puttingit on a dedicated circuit?. I would have thought the advantage of being on a shared circuit outweighs dedicated supply

If it is on it own circuit the consumer has the ability to switch if off, which is dangerous, however if if it on a lighting circuit they cant just isolate it

Irish

Reply to Smoke Detectors - Own Circuit or Lighting? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock