Discuss Smoke Detectors - Own Circuit or Lighting? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If it is on it own circuit the consumer has the ability to switch if off, which is dangerous, however if if it on a lighting circuit they cant just isolate it

Irish

It is a life saving bit of equipment so isolation is not an option I would suggest??

If the customer decides to switch off and doesnt know its a life saving equipment then they will be screwed when a fire breaks out.

Taken from the NICEIC tech manual

Clause 15.5(a) of BS 5839-6: 2004 recommends that the normal supply for a Grade D system should be derived from the public electricity supply, either via an independent circuit at the dwelling’s main distribution board with no other electrical equipment connected, other than a dedicated monitoring device to indicate failure of the normal supply, or a separately protected regularly used local lighting circuit. Clause 15.5(a) of BS 5839-6: 2004 recommends that the normal supply for a Grade D system should be derived from the public electricity supply, either via an independent circuit at the dwelling’s main distribution board with no other electrical equipment connected, other than a dedicated monitoring device to indicate failure of the normal supply, or a separately protected regularly used local lighting circuit.

So no to putting it on a lighting circuit;)

Taken from the NICEIC tech manual

Clause 15.5(a) of BS 5839-6: 2004 recommends that the normal supply for a Grade D system should be derived from the public electricity supply, either via an independent circuit at the dwelling’s main distribution board with no other electrical equipment connected, other than a dedicated monitoring device to indicate failure of the normal supply, or a separately protected regularly used local lighting circuit. Clause 15.5(a) of BS 5839-6: 2004 recommends that the normal supply for a Grade D system should be derived from the public electricity supply, either via an independent circuit at the dwelling’s main distribution board with no other electrical equipment connected, other than a dedicated monitoring device to indicate failure of the normal supply, or a separately protected regularly used local lighting circuit.

So no to putting it on a lighting circuit;)

neil, your own post would sugest that you can use a regulary used local lighting circuirt.

either via an independent circuit at the dwelling’s main distribution board with no other electrical equipment connected, other than a dedicated monitoring device to indicate failure of the normal supply,or a separately protected regularly used local lighting circuit.

good point, i never bothered reading it much further, as it read with 'no other electrical equipment connected', which surely includes lighting? So the statement would basically be contradicting itself?

No less if you were to design smokes/heats in a lighting circuit, in a typical 2 storey house, you would have to run your lighting loop through the smokes i.e distribution board, smoke 1, smoke 2, heat 1 then lounge light, hall light etc, or visa versa placing your smokes at the end of your lighting loop. If you done it any other way, then surely your creating a form of 2 radials/lighting loops where your spurring from a room to run a new radial/loop, to create your smoke 'loop/radial circuit'.
In addition a typical 3 bed house might take around 50-75 metres of 1.5mm per level, if you were to add the smoke circuit which should typically cover the kitchen, lounge, hall and landing, you could be adding a further 40 metres approx to the lighting circuit.

Personally I always run a seperate circuit, where possible, this making it easier for testing and reduces nuisense tripping in the smokes, still caused by blown lamps,

The principal itself is no different to a full fire alarm system chaps. That has it's own dedicated supply with battery backup. Granted the alerts to loss of AC power are more noticable but in essence it's the same.

I always have a dedicated circuit for me domestic smokes and advise customers to check fot the green LED power light daily and to keep an ear out intermittent beeps that also indicate loss of power.

guy from elecsa has told me that if its new build/rewire-own circuit everytime. if just adding/upgrading then as long as you put in some form of isolation ie key switch so that they can be maintained etc without killing lighting then all is well. seems to contradict itself but for the sake of it, i lways run it that extra feed for what its worth. i mean come on, time and money etc but for the sake of it, what-10m of cable at a guess? its just not worth the argument. also advised that if upgrading an installation etc then try and jig circuits about to suit and give a spare way or just prey for one anyway.

if just adding/upgrading then as long as you put in some form of isolation ie key switch so that they can be maintained etc without killing lighting then all is well. seems to contradict itself but for the sake of it,

Does this also mean that we need to put a keyswitch next to each pendant as well?:confused::D

Does this also mean that we need to put a keyswitch next to each pendant as well?:confused::D

confused where did the key switches come from
Smoke Detectors - Own Circuit or Lighting? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

and why would you want to key switch each pendant
Smoke Detectors - Own Circuit or Lighting? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

regards

MTI was told that if upgrading etc then the smokes can be powered from the lighting circuit, but should also install a means of isolation for maintenance of the smokes without shutting off the lighting circuit.

Therefore, do we need to do the same for the lighting pendants, for when we want to maintain one and not put the whole house in the dark.

this could go on for ever haha! its like mp's expenses at the mo lol! i think we can all guess that its the smokes that need isolating from lighting. i know, i know, to work on one pendant, we may/should isolate circuit, obviously killing lights but the idea is to allow us to work/maintain and test smokes and still have the aid of lighting. plus, they are two different kinds of 'installations' on one circuit. its only like banging in a s/f spur for fixed equipment etc

I know mate im just having a laugh.

Does my head in with all these tiny little details that really dont have to matter in a day to day install.

You are right about the MP's expenses, but we will save that for another time.

Reply to Smoke Detectors - Own Circuit or Lighting? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock