Discuss So I Removed An Old Lath And Plaster Ceiling ... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

OnlQQker

Esteemed
Reaction score
To find the electrician had spurred off the ring main in 2 x 2.5mm cables to 2 new sockets in bedroom above.

This was done a year ago by an electrician from Mybuilder.com

I doubt if it was tested but if it had of been would this of shown up in a test?

Secondly is this a way of spurring off from the ring for 2 sockets?
It doesn't seem right to me but maybe I'm missing something?

You can have many spurs off a ring so long as there is a maximum of one double socket on each spur.

So if he has made two spurs with one socket on each = OK.

If one spur has the two sockets = not OK

If the spurs were not maintenance free there is an issue.

Pictures would assist in forming a more reliable opinion.

Can you explain how you mean?

as above, has he created a spur with 2 points in line, or 2 spurs from the one JB? (Ie, 4 cables at one point, can cause a hotspot)

if he has created a spur, T joint on one leg of the ring to one socket, then another T joint on another leg, then that is acceptable.
JB wouldn’t be maintenance free, as accessible from lifting floor above.

Lathe and plaster ceiling? Messy job

Sorry, I will try to explain a little clearer and get a picture when I am back over there on Saturday.

Upstairs ring supplying 1 bedroom and landing.
From the 1st bedroom double socket he has installed 2 x 2.5mm cables (which means 4 x 2.5mm cables are now in the terminals in socket)
These come to 2 double sockets in second bedroom.

I've attached a picture I drew, till I get photo

Attachments

• So I Removed An Old Lath And Plaster Ceiling ... Untitled - EletriciansForums.net
    Untitled.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 64
It looks like the new wires are arranged to form a section of a RFC. If they go into the existing socket, there's no reason why this new section of ring can't be inserted in series with the existing ring to form a bigger ring, which will be acceptable, as long as the total ring length isn't now too great.
One of the existing cables should be disconnected from the existing socket and joined to one of the new cables. The other new cable should be connected to the existing socket in place of the cable that was just removed.

P.S. In the last year, I've removed over 150m2 of lathe and plaster ceilings, plus about 50m2 of lathe and plaster walls. Have enough fire lightings (kindling) for the next ten years.

Last edited:
They certainly go up to the socket as I can see them going up the wall from below, but I will double check.

I guess it got me questioning whether he was trying to create a 5mm supply to get over the one spur from a ring scenario. The house was originally lead cable and there is iron conduit going off to sockets/lighting.

It just has me scratching my head and I try to understand the logics behind it all!

Thanks for the responses!

It looks like he's just extended the ring! It's fine.

Your drawn diagram makes it look like all 4 cables are connected together in the socket in bed 1, whereas the picture shows only 2 cables are in the socket and the other 2 are connected together to extend the ring.

I feel I may be missing something as it looks like he has simple extended the ring?

You are missing something. The pic. we have is of an example of it having been done correctly, not the actual case in question.

You are missing the point that the second picture is Tels !!
Ah ha, my brain was saying something's not right!

Well. I think the only problem would be potential imbalance of the ring. You can have 2 separate spurs from a single point as long as they are separate spurs. The only difference here is they have a connecting cable between them. It's a bit like having a piece of 5mm cable spurred from one socket feeding 2 other sockets. Also, squeezing 4 conductors into one terminal in a socket isn't great.

Simple solution is just to change the layout in bed 1 socket so the ring is extended, which i'm sure someone will have said?

Reply to So I Removed An Old Lath And Plaster Ceiling ... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock