Search the forum,

Discuss So the Scots vote No on Thursday, how would you vote in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Should Scottish MP's be allowed to vote on rUK matters

• No - Scottish MP's not allowed to vote on rUK matters

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - Scottish MP's are allowed to vote on rUK matters

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You're right Adam but the constituency I live in, South Shields, is inside the borough of South Tyneside which stretches from the mouth of the Tyne to the border of Gateshead so the local authority actually covers several parliamentary constituencies. Similarly, a decision taken in Westminster which affects the area could cover many constituencies and many local authorities

I'm due to vote tomorrow and I still am not 100% sure what way to go. I'll probably vote no. I dont like alex salmond or the majority of the people on the yes team and I dont think that they have been clear enough or answered all the questions asked. On the other side I feel that Scotland is more than capable of being independant and offer a lot to the UK economy and should have more of a say on our own affairs. Some of the underhand tactic from the yes campaign have been shocking, and they seem to want to make out that if you vote no then you are not Scottish. But again tonight I got an email from my employer which was supposed to detail the impact a yes vote would have on the company but actually ended up tearing into the yes campaign and was not about the company. There have been so many conflicting arguments on both sides which make the decision very difficult. As i said earlier I am leaning to the no side and will prob vote for this but some of the comments coming from down south are very narrow minded, to say basically the Scottish can f**k off and crash and burn is not helpful and that the rest of the UK should be worried if there is a yes vote as Scotland play a larger part and contribute far more to the union than we are given credit for.

I'm due to vote tomorrow and I still am not 100% sure what way to go. I'll probably vote no. I dont like alex salmond or the majority of the people on the yes team and I dont think that they have been clear enough or answered all the questions asked. On the other side I feel that Scotland is more than capable of being independant and offer a lot to the UK economy and should have more of a say on our own affairs. Some of the underhand tactic from the yes campaign have been shocking, and they seem to want to make out that if you vote no then you are not Scottish. But again tonight I got an email from my employer which was supposed to detail the impact a yes vote would have on the company but actually ended up tearing into the yes campaign and was not about the company. There have been so many conflicting arguments on both sides which make the decision very difficult. As i said earlier I am leaning to the no side and will prob vote for this but some of the comments coming from down south are very narrow minded, to say basically the Scottish can f**k off and crash and burn is not helpful and that the rest of the UK should be worried if there is a yes vote as Scotland play a larger part and contribute far more to the union than we are given credit for.

"Hello pcam1984",

I hope that You have not taken offence at my comments.

I definitely have the view that I want Scottish people to have what MOST of them want regarding Scottish Independence / `withdrawing from the UK` - BUT - NOT with a Vote of for example 51% to 49%.

I feel that it is not right to have a Referendum on anything that would produce a change for the whole of the UK where the Peoples opinions are split approximately 50 / 50.

Too many people will be very dissatisfied / very disappointed with whatever the result is.

In MY opinion IF the vote was likely to be for example 60 - 70% for either YES or NO then a Referendum would be appropriate to bring about the change that a significant Majority wanted.

These are NOT an `Anti Scottish` comments - I love Scotland and I have visited many times for short Holidays / Weddings etc. / worked in Edinburgh for 4 Months on a Friends Home and I have many Scottish Friends.

I would have this opinion about a Referendum on any situation that affected the whole of the UK where there was anything like a 50 / 50 split of opinions.

I wanted to make this clear - I am NOT decrying Scotland / the Scottish peoples rights.

Regards,

Chris

trev it's the same where I live - Bournemouth Borough Council covers the constituencies of Bournemouth East and Bournemouth West, and while Tobias Ellwood (east) may lobby the local council for something which affects constituents in the west, it will also affect his constituents, so any unpopular policies could see him voted out at the next local election.
Similarly in Westminster my MP may vote on something which would affect you, but it would also affect me, so for example if he were to vote on a massive hike in prescription charges, no you wouldn't like it, but neither would I, which still affects his chances of re-election.
The issue with a separate Scottish parliament is that issues affecting you and I are voted on by Scottish MPs who come down to decide that we should pay for prescriptions and tuition fees while their constituents get them for free.

I agree that there are a lot of clowns trying to sway people either way - Scots who haven't lived there for years and who it wouldn't affect, and Cameron's grovelling is just embarrassing, although apparently Gordon Brown managed to pull a half-decent speech out of the bag at the last minute.

It seems to me the person speaking the most sense is John Redwood.

Chris i have not taken any offence from your comments and i agree that a 51-49 split is not a fair result but thats the rules and no matter what the result is I hope that both sides accept it but i dont think thats what will happen, i think that the no matter the result there will be problems.

As for the posts regarding scottish mps voting on english affairs, english mps do have a say in scotland! Not all decisions for scotland are made in scotland, the wesminster government has a large say in what happens here. I think that people should look more at the decisions being made rather than the people making them!

Reply to So the Scots vote No on Thursday, how would you vote in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back