Currently reading:
Help Needed: Wiring Relay to Hive Thermostat receiver for Underfloor Electric Heating Mats

Discuss Help Needed: Wiring Relay to Hive Thermostat receiver for Underfloor Electric Heating Mats in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

r33eut

DIY
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm seeking some advice on how to wire a relay to my Hive Thermostat for controlling my underfloor electric heating. I have some basic knowledge but I’m not an electrician, so I’m finding it a bit confusing and would really appreciate some guidance.

Here’s my setup:​

1. Power Supply: Separate channel of Three-core cable coming from the fuse box (Live, Neutral, Earth).
  2. Underfloor Heating Mat: Three-core cable (Live, Neutral, Earth).
  3. Hive Thermostat: I have attached a picture of the wiring diagram for the Hive Thermostat receiver
  4. Relay: I have also attached a picture of SALUS relay I’m using.

My Objective:​

I want to use the relay as a bridge since the Hive Thermostat can’t handle the high amperes required by the underfloor heating mat. Essentially, the thermostat will control the relay, which in turn will switch the heating mat on and off.

My Questions:​

• Based on the attached pictures, could someone guide me on which wires go where on the relay and the Hive Thermostat?
  • How should I connect the live, neutral, and earth wires from the fuse box and the heating mat to both the thermostat and the relay?
I highly appreciate your time to get this answered.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    749.1 KB · Views: 7
  • image1.jpeg
    460.1 KB · Views: 5
Based on the attached pictures, could someone guide me on which wires go where on the relay and the Hive Thermostat
It's the policy on this forum not to give step by step advice.
If you have an understanding of wiring requirements you will not have any difficulty with how to connect power to the two units you illustrate.
I will say, to achieve the connectivity you need, use the Hive to feed switched (L) - when heating needed - to the Salus, ie:
That means linking mains (L) on the Hive to its terminal (3), and then Hive Com terminal (1) to the Salus SL terminal.
Then on the Salus link mains (L) to the relay NO terminal, and take the relay Com as the (L) feed to the UFH.
How should I connect the live, neutral, and earth wires from the fuse box and the heating mat to both the thermostat and the relay?
Wiring a new circuit from the consumer unit is a job for an electrician.
The UFH should be on an RCD as well as having overload protection (or an RCBO).
The supply would normally be terminated in a fused connection unit (FCU) in order to make the connections to the Hive receiver and Salus (the latter in an enclosure of some sort)

The fact you are asking the question suggests that really you should use the services of a qualified electrician, There are matters of circuit design, cable sizes and types, circuit protection, testing, and complying with the regulations. If you need a new circuit from the consumer unit, that should have a Minor Works Certificate signed off by a registered electrician.

Reply to Help Needed: Wiring Relay to Hive Thermostat receiver for Underfloor Electric Heating Mats in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock