Discuss Socket caught on fire - urgent help/advice needed from tenant in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

i don't know about in england but in northern ireland it is legal requirement to have an EICR carried out and a certificate produced before any property can be rented so whenever you moved in there should be a certificate from then. i only know the because i test rented homes a lot of the time
Since when has that been a legal requirement in Northern Ireland?

Thanks everyone, you have made me feel more comfortable this evening with the fact that it seems to be a faulty appliance as opposed to a bigger issue with wiring, again really appreciated. I have added some more images of the plug and casing etc..

Socket caught on fire - urgent help/advice needed from tenant {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Socket caught on fire - urgent help/advice needed from tenant {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Yes....definatly plug is the cause, If the dryer was using too much current it would simply blow the fuse. I dare say a new plug could be refitted, but if it's not that old and under guarantee then contact the manufacturer.

Little known fact that not all 13A moulded plugs are rated at 13A and I can't see the rating on that one. Check a few on your computers, tv and stuff as some are marked at less than 13A.

Little known fact that not all 13A moulded plugs are rated at 13A and I can't see the rating on that one. Check a few on your computers, tv and stuff as some are marked at less than 13A.
Every day I learn something new here - thanks Westie.
I rummaged through the junk pile important historical artefacts in the shed and I had one to hand ... another thing to confirm when looking at appliances.

Socket caught on fire - urgent help/advice needed from tenant IMG_0841.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Not sure whether that rating applies to just the attached cord or plug and cord though.

In my case, I just had the plug. Long since removed from something for some reason that is now lost in time ...

OP, just to clarify, did you say that for some time the socket was cracked and that only one of the outlets in the double socket was working?

Looks like the OP has lost interest, the best advice I can give will be to get a competent DI or better still an Electrician in, to survey the problem, give the OP his/her opinion and take it from there, all this procrastination does nobody any good, least of all the OP, get a Sparky in to take a look Mate.

Hi all

I have come on here in hope for some advice if possible. Yesterday my wife was at home with my three children when she smelt a strong burning coming from the kitchen, when investigating she noticed the tumble dryer plug (which is plugged in the wall socket) had caught fire, as it transpires and thankfully, she pulled the plug out in time. As the smoke seemed to still be coming from the socket the fire brigade where called out in fear of it being a fire within the wall. The fireman said it was only a few more seconds away from fully igniting.

Subsequently he seemed pretty outraged with our landlord over other aspects of the property seeming to lack fire safety regulations, and asked for his telephone number to make direct contact. Later in the evening our landlord arrived and let it slip that the wiring had been installed over 13 years ago and had not been touched or checked since. He promised to return today with an electrician to replace the socket and make sure it was all safe to continue to use.

Whilst i was at work he attended the property with friend who apparently did the original wiring, his friend suggested that it was a fuse issue and the sockets and wires where absolutely perfect still? When my wife asked for that to be written down and for paperwork to show these findings he refused to leave her anything and simple said the plug is proof enough to claim from the tumble dryer company for compensation of a new tumble dryer (as ours is no longer working) I have added some pics for you in hope that it may be able to suggest this is a tumble dryer and plug issue and not electrical. as I am slightly worried, firstly that we have had a proper check carried (it could have been anybody for all we know) checking our electrics and secondly to ask if it is a legal requirement to leave paperwork with tenants to confirm the work as been carried out by a qualified electrician? also on a side note, yesterday the fireman arranged to book in a free fire safety inspection and offered us free smoke alarms as ours are not working, they had arranged to do this on Friday however my landlord has advised us today he has cancelled this appointment and will fit the alarms himself? Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Where abouts in the UK are you situated ? close to Northampton ?

For the sheer interest and enjoyment I have been studying the photos the OP has provided to think on what electrical effects caused what the OP described in #1. KEV1N mentioned in #19 the absence of burning around the L and N pins and that the oblong shape of the fuse holder was burnt onto the faceplate of the socket. And DJ Obengloves in #7 observes the heat has been applied from the underside of the plug.

I think there are some further observations which can be take from the phot of the plug in #31.

Reply to Socket caught on fire - urgent help/advice needed from tenant in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock