Discuss socket outlets near a bath in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

kmarsden98

hi i was wondering if any one could help a hotel that i do some electrical work for are updating their rooms they are putting baths in all the guest rooms all the rooms have 1 twin s/o in which are about 1 to 2Metres from the bath
does any one no what the regs are on existing sockets near a newly fitted bath do they have to be moved 3M away.
thanx

hi i was wondering if any one could help a hotel that i do some electrical work for are updating their rooms they are putting baths in all the guest rooms all the rooms have 1 twin s/o in which are about 1 to 2Metres from the bath
does any one no what the regs are on existing sockets near a newly fitted bath do they have to be moved 3M away.
thanx

they have to be 3m away AND meet all the other requirements, RCD protected etc

thanks thought so told the owner of the hotel it cant be done as the room isnt even 3m long also advised removing all sockets from the room she going to try gettin another spark to do the job

Isn't she being a silly trollop???

OK, she might get one of our eastern european brethren living in a van for the summer, cash only and not paying tax/NI and the rest to do it, but what does that gain her?

She has a responsibility for Elf 'n' safety of her guests, and she also has to comply with conditions of insurance to continue to BE insured. No doubt she has to have a fire certificate, have gas and electrical PIR's up to date etc. or if something happens the insurance won't pay out to start with. Plus the Elf 'n' safety mob crawling everywhere to contend with.

Nobody is going to issue a PIR to say "Satisfactory" with sockets in a bathroom that are that close PLUS no RCD. So where does that leave her?? In potentially deep doo-doo I would guess.

She doesn't realistically have a choice BUT to make sure her premises comply with the regulations. Getting someone else to do the job might be difficult. But sometimes it's just best to tell them the score then walk away.

this might be a silly question BUT......

when you do have a socket 3M away can you just have an RCD SOCKET or does the whole circuit need to be RCD protected?

and i presume it doesnt have to be 3M away if its in a different room? i.e a lounge wall backing onto a bathroom wall etc..........

ive not long woken up so go easy! :D

According to the regs if the cables are less than 50mm deep in the wall blah blah blah and not in earthed metallic conduit blah blah blah and not under the supervision blah blah blah or labelled for a specific item blah blah blah then yes they have to be rcd protected to bring them up to regs. I have taken and passed my 17th update and learnt one word, RCD RCD RCD RCD RCD RCD RCD RCD RCD RCD.

Oh and yes if there is a wall in between the bathroom and another room, the other room aint a bathroom, unless theres a bath in it of course, hope this helps mate.

ok, so couldnt the hotel owner just relocate the sockets and ensure the on suite has a stud wall around it?

this might be a silly question BUT......

when you do have a socket 3M away can you just have an RCD SOCKET or does the whole circuit need to be RCD protected?

Interesting question.

If so how does the dedicated cable from the CU to the bathroom stand in terms of the RCD located at the socket? Would the more limited upstream protection make this a no no?

If so how does the dedicated cable from the CU to the bathroom stand in terms of the RCD located at the socket? Would the more limited upstream protection make this a no no?

If you are altering or extending a circuit the whole circuit must comply with the curant regs

in my opinion it would make more sense for hotels to all have RCD sockets rather than being rcd protected at the ccu anyway, that way if you get a cleaner with a dodgy hoover it will just trip that socket rather than the whole circuit.

i would never put a socket in a bathroom. Its asking for some idiot to try blow drying her hair etc whilst been in a bath.
I have never ever seen a socket (other than shaving) in a bathroom

i would never put a socket in a bathroom. Its asking for some idiot to try blow drying her hair etc whilst been in a bath.
I have never ever seen a socket (other than shaving) in a bathroom
London Luke hello mate
I agree with what you say. However it's not talking about a bathroom as such. It's a room which contains a bath or shower. What this is saying is that it could be an en suite. Therefore the bedroom sockets need to comply if there is no solid wall around the bath or shower.

BS7671 witten in English would be fantastic wouldn't you agree?

Mark

Reading the thread back, we don't know if the bath is in a separate compartment within the room or not. The OP hasn't clarified this point, and seems to imply that the bath is in the room with no partition - a bit unusual? I can't think WHY you would put an ensuite in any room without partitioning it off. Imagine sharing a room and being forced to have a poo whilst the other half is watching the TV??? Gross, or what!

So if the OP means that the bathrooms will be enclosed in stud walling as a separate room, and the existing socket is not in that room, then it's not an issue. If the hotelier is planning to put an open plan bathroom within the room, then please let me know where the place is so that the missus and I can avoid it!

Reading the thread back, we don't know if the bath is in a separate compartment within the room or not. The OP hasn't clarified this point, and seems to imply that the bath is in the room with no partition - a bit unusual? I can't think WHY you would put an ensuite in any room without partitioning it off. Imagine sharing a room and being forced to have a poo whilst the other half is watching the TV??? Gross, or what!

So if the OP means that the bathrooms will be enclosed in stud walling as a separate room, and the existing socket is not in that room, then it's not an issue. If the hotelier is planning to put an open plan bathroom within the room, then please let me know where the place is so that the missus and I can avoid it!

It has been known, as if you watch Grand Design and other similar programs have seen people do that

If you are altering or extending a circuit the whole circuit must comply with the curant regs

erm....no it doesnt

YOUR work must comply with the regs, not the exisiting work

take an upstairs ring, not on an RCD

I could install a spur, surface mount the cable, and use an SRCD for the outlet

take a bathroom light, i could take a sw/fuse spur off an RCD protected ring

both these examples are perfectly in line with the 17th edition requirements, and I have not made the whole circuit comply with the current regs, just the bit I have done;)

Ok.... i wish the OP had a pic !!
Yes many modern homes have open plan Baths in the bedroom> But never a toilet !

if this is the case then yes i would imagine 3 mtr min

erm....no it doesnt

YOUR work must comply with the regs, not the exisiting work

take an upstairs ring, not on an RCD

I could install a spur, surface mount the cable, and use an SRCD for the outlet

So this addresses my point on SRCD´s moving towards obsoletion i.e. NOT - although in practice it´s likley that a customer in a domestic situation won´t want surface mounted - therefore we are back to RCDing the circuit at the CU and modifying the whole circuit to the 17th.

Reply to socket outlets near a bath in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock