Currently reading:
Spur from an FCU to an FCU?

Discuss Spur from an FCU to an FCU? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Stormflex

Evening all,

Just been to look at a job and a little unsure how to handle one aspect of it:

Client wants an outside socket and outside light put on their extension.

In the extension is a cupboard housing the boiler. The cupboard has an FCU feeding a socket. Initially I thought of taking a feed from this FCU to an outside socket with integral RCD. But, then I realised that if they ever wanted to isolate it they'd also turn off the boiler. So, can I run a cable from this FCU to a further FCU to feed the socket?

Likewise, could I add yet a further FCU to feed and isolate an outdoor light?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Rich

Yes because you are protecting the extended circuit with a 13a fuse. I have seen sockets taken off a ring, and run as a radial from it but with a FCU at the point of extension. Not ideal, but it is compliant, just like using an extension lead. You can keep on adding, as long as it stays in spec for volt drop, Zs etc etc. How and what gets isolated as a result, is for discussion between you and client.

Cheers..........Howard

so you tap your new FCU from the "live" side of the boiler FCU.

Correct. I've just e-mailed the client to confirm but I believe the boiler is plugged into the socket (that is being fed from the FCU). I didn't see anything else in the cupboard that could have been plugged into that socket.

telectrix - yes, that's my plan (now). Originally I was going to run straight from the current FCU to the outside socket. But, then I realised you wouldn't be able to isolate the socket without isolating the boiler at the same time.

seems a strange set up? fcu supplying a socket that supplies the boiler? if the fcu is for the boiler why isnt it hard wired? or is it a 2 gang socket and they use the spare for something else?

haha, know what you mean. my thinking is if the fcu is off the ring then the boiler would be hard wired into it and the socket could be a spur from the ring. if the fcu is on its own radial why cant you just extend it to allow for new socket and light?

Reply to Spur from an FCU to an FCU? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock