Discuss FCU to pond pump in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dave64

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,
Thank you in advance...
So I had an electrician put in some FCUs on spurs to a couple of outside lights.. this one was in readiness to feed a pond pump.

I'm very reluctant to question the experts, but I wanted to put an LED FCU on, and found this.. I really don't think it can be right?

Surely both cables going into the supply bypasses the fuse?

Am I missing something?

Again, I appreciate any advice..
FCU wiring.jpg
ù

Last edited by a moderator:
If the load is connected then the fuse is bypassed, but I can't help wondering if no load has yet been connected and those cables are simply the supply looped through to another point as the cables look to be the same size of T&E of different ages..

If the load is connected then the fuse is bypassed, but I can't help wondering if no load has yet been connected and those cables are simply the supply looped through to another point as the cables look to be the same size of T&E of different ages..
The way I read it, it's been put in ready for the pond feed so the cables are just both legs of the ring. The pond feed will go into the load side.

That was my take, but wasn't certain I'd picked the OP up correctly.
Hi, thank you for your reply. This FCU is spurred off of the ring, one cable goes to a double socket on the ring, and the second cable goes through the wall to an external junction box and ends in a cable connector. Into which, the electrician said I could connect my pump with armoured cable.

Hi, thank you for your reply. This FCU is spurred off of the ring, one cable goes to a double socket on the ring, and the second cable goes through the wall to an external junction box and ends in a cable connector. Into which, the electrician said I could connect my pump with armoured cable.

Something isn't right here and I would advise against connecting anything without first getting someone in to look at it.

If thats the case then the cable that goes through the wall to the jb should be on the Load side so you can isolate it,

Something isn't right here and I would advise against connecting anything without first getting someone in to look at it.
I agree. I have three of these FCUs each spurred from a different socket. One to some brick lights, one to decking lights and the third in readiness for the pond pump.
I've simply changed the FCUs to ones with LEDs.. The brick and decking lights work fine, but the pump one didn't seem right.
And given that these electrics are repairs to a conservatory after a fire caused by electrics, I am extra cautious.

Finally found out what was going on here, a bad case of "competent DIYer" not really being all that competent..
It turns out that the two cables into the supply were simply the supply and the loop to the next FCU... the load cable was taped up at the back of the box!
Hats off to all you pros... firstly, for be good at electrics, and secondly, for putting up with muppets like me! And I joke, but I genuinely realise how dangerous electricity can be !!
Thanks for reading, and thank you for a great forum!

Reply to FCU to pond pump in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net