Currently reading:
start up costs

Discuss start up costs in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Before I get thrown to the wolves can I just add for the benefit of anyone reading this that I'm not self employed as an electrician!

Edit - or a DI or an Engineer, it's a minefield this!

Last edited:
£3k - van
£1k - van insurance
£300 - PL insurance
£200 - clothing
£150 - ppe
£350 - livery
£1k - tools
£500 - scheme
£2k - fuel
£200 - road tax
£500 - MOT service etc
£350 - phone
£200 - office supplies etc

i don't agree with that as such,

£250 - van insurance (fully comply protected)
£200 - PL insurance
£200 - clothing
£75 - ppe
£0 - livery
£500 - scheme
£2k - fuel
£200 - road tax
£200 - MOT service etc
£350 - phone
£200 - office supplies

if you are paying £1k for van insurance you are being had. I pay £250 fully comp with protected no claims, and that's not even my main car.

As for tools, I spent probably £12000 on tools in total, annually I do but kit so not sure what figure to put on it but do t class it as running costs.

i think to say £500 on MOT is too much.

Livery, I presume you mean van signage? This was in the startup cost, I had the entire ban fine for £80.

And why a load of you are leading vans is beyond me, it's false economy. I paid £800 for my van and It owes me nothing.
I paid 1800 for a vivaro about 8 months ago. I've had to take the box out and replace a selector shaft. The bottom end went down Sheffield so I had to get it recovered back to Newcastle for £300 then stick a scrapyard lump in it, it failed the MOT for a seized caliper and I've just put a turbo on it cos it was leaking oil all over my drive.

I do about 35k miles a year so if I can find a lease deal where I don't get hammered for excess mileage I'll gladly give up the hassle of an old van and welcome the comfort of something new to drive about in with no maintenance worries

And why a load of you are leading vans is beyond me, it's false economy. I paid £800 for my van and It owes me nothing.

Yeah I agree, the amount of new start ups who think they must have a new van on HP or lease. I'd never borrow money for anything accept a mortgage. I had a 3K van when I started on my own (2007) and still got £1800 for it 3 years later. Own nice new transporter now though (owned not leased) :)

I paid 1800 for a vivaro about 8 months ago. I've had to take the box out and replace a selector shaft. The bottom end went down Sheffield so I had to get it recovered back to Newcastle for £300 then stick a scrapyard lump in it, it failed the MOT for a seized caliper and I've just put a turbo on it cos it was leaking oil all over my drive.

I do about 35k miles a year so if I can find a lease deal where I don't get hammered for excess mileage I'll gladly give up the hassle of an old van and welcome the comfort of something new
To drive about in with no maintenance worries

vivaro/primastar/traffic are good price but all have weak gearboxes. If you are doing those mileages look for something else. Older Merc Vito's are cheap but do will the miles, but have poor corrosion resistance to say the least.

Reply to start up costs in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock