Discuss Supply to 3 phase DB tripped in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As above, place I work at as maintenance, had supply tripped off at the weekend. Not some stuff I’m fully conversant with, so just seeking views here.

3 phase DB supplying power and lighting for rooms, using RCBO’s. Panel has this as main switch;

Supply to 3 phase DB tripped 766C3B3F-062E-48C3-B982-A4C53837E689 - EletriciansForums.net

The supply panel is this;
Supply to 3 phase DB tripped BC0C312C-48C5-4B7B-AAF2-829D5F97894C - EletriciansForums.net

From what I can glean from the schematics, the supply panel breaker is 100A, and from the Eaton breaker it’s In is 250A, which seems unusual, two in series?

The supply panel tripped. No apparent reason. No one plugging in large loads, and no RCBO’s tripped. Breaker reinstated, and fine since.

Never experienced supply tripping like this. Cause for any concern, apart from me being there :).

Th emost likely reason for the 250A mccb incomer on the DB is misordering, misunderstanding or the specifier just generally not paying attention to what they are doing. (unless it has an earth leakage relay or remote tripping device connected then it may be there for good reason)

Th emost likely reason for the 250A mccb incomer on the DB is misordering, misunderstanding or the specifier just generally not paying attention to what they are doing. (unless it has an earth leakage relay or remote tripping device connected then it may be there for good reason)
Someone pushed the trip button? in error or mischief?

Overload would be my first thought, however I don't know the place or pattern of use over the weekend.
I can imagine a 200A DB with 250A incomer being overloaded past 100A though as additions filter in over the years.

I have also had it in the past where MCCBs trip when re-energised after a powercut due to the downstream devices all being on and the startup spike being too high. Any instances of that in your area this weekend ?

As above, place I work at as maintenance, had supply tripped off at the weekend. Not some stuff I’m fully conversant with, so just seeking views here.

3 phase DB supplying power and lighting for rooms, using RCBO’s. Panel has this as main switch;

View attachment 51266

The supply panel is this;
View attachment 51267

From what I can glean from the schematics, the supply panel breaker is 100A, and from the Eaton breaker it’s In is 250A, which seems unusual, two in series?

The supply panel tripped. No apparent reason. No one plugging in large loads, and no RCBO’s tripped. Breaker reinstated, and fine since.

Never experienced supply tripping like this. Cause for any concern, apart from me being there :).
Is there any under voltage monitoring that could have caused the trip?

Not sure on your last bit, but don’t think so. Nothing mentioned on the schematics.

Overload would be my first thought, however I don't know the place or pattern of use over the weekend.
I can imagine a 200A DB with 250A incomer being overloaded past 100A though as additions filter in over the years.

I have also had it in the past where MCCBs trip when re-energised after a powercut due to the downstream devices all being on and the startup spike being too high. Any instances of that in your area this weekend ?

It’s just bedrooms & corridors. One of the team had a call out, reporting loss of power etc. DB was all on, then found the supply panel tripped. Powered back on, all ok.

Did have a network power failure early Thursday morning.

Is there any under voltage monitoring that could have caused the trip?
Again not sure on that, but it’s a large place, nothing else gone off. Strange one. Somebody mentioned loose connections, but think we’d have more probs since Saturday?

We’ve had some more incidents.

Some of our lighting, had to have a network reset. Had one incident the other day, and whilst walking back to get some tools, witnessed a momentary power failure, lighting going off, but more specifically heard the air handling power down, before coming straight back on again.

We have an independent supplier, who have inspected our main supply. Can’t see that proving anything, as fault is rare and intermittent. So wasn’t of much help. The regional DNO said they have no recorded incidents.

Is there any monitoring equipment suppliers can provide? Matter is being escalated.

We’ve had some more incidents.

Some of our lighting, had to have a network reset. Had one incident the other day, and whilst walking back to get some tools, witnessed a momentary power failure, lighting going off, but more specifically heard the air handling power down, before coming straight back on again.

We have an independent supplier, who have inspected our main supply. Can’t see that proving anything, as fault is rare and intermittent. So wasn’t of much help. The regional DNO said they have no recorded incidents.

Is there any monitoring equipment suppliers can provide? Matter is being escalated.

Power data logger can be hired independently and set up to monitor the supply for a week or two.

Reply to Supply to 3 phase DB tripped in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock