Discuss Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

10 Quids worth of rubbish!! lol!!

So how much are the New Wylex MCB's that fit the present day CU's??
Last time i looked, a Hager 6, 16, 20, 32A MCB cost around 3 Euros in Cyprus...

Re: Tell us about your faults !

Hi All

I am new to this site, and was wondering if you can guide us to the right direction, I am doing EICR's and I have come across falts which are wired from submains with 16mm2 TW&E and the cable run is about 12 meters protected by kfm 60amp switch, my question is this installation is over 20 years old and the earth from from submains 16mm TW&E is used, which is 6mm and is non compliance to current reg, my question is which code would this be classified as? C1 C2 or C3

Thanks

Adam

I would say it's a C3 as it does not comply with the current BS7671 but may comply with older versions. But maybe a different story if your ZS readings are poor.

Hi All

I am new to this site, and was wondering if you can guide us to the right direction, I am doing EICR's and I have come across falts which are wired from submains with 16mm2 TW&E and the cable run is about 12 meters protected by kfm 60amp switch, my question is this installation is over 20 years old and the earth from from submains 16mm TW&E is used, which is 6mm and is non compliance to current reg, my question is which code would this be classified as? C1 C2 or C3

Thanks

Adam

Hi,
Is this a fault on the side of the DNO?:

Void top floor flat (Council) (1 bed I think, not that it makes a difference). Been rewired by another team in company then we went to 2nd fix after plastering and kitchen fitting ect and then I noticed that the mains in to the flat (before bullet) where in 10mm cooker cable going down from the bullet in to gas cupboard under the fuse board cupboard then out the bottom of that cupboard. left in the air, not even trucked.

And on the earth only some of the earth strands where connected.

(Earth cable that is insulated is gas bond).

Sorry that images are sideways.

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Thanks

Hi Guys

Thank you for you all your replies I didn't think I would get such a quick reply so never logged on, Well the problem is nearly all the flats are Victorian houses converted into flats, the main incoming is normally TNCS, and then to each flat 16mm TW&E are run, at the consumer units which have been changed over the years by various contractors as they usually have RCD split broads but they have left the 16MM2 TW&E submains which the 6mm CPC of the 16mm TW & E is used as the earth at the consumer unit, at the time of consumer unit was changed in most cases I have come across they have not bothered to upgrade the Earth from 6mm to 16MM, these installations are nearly 20 years old, yes at the time this was acceptable but now to current standards and it's non compliance, The ZS reading I have got is good and within range of 0.35, Ze is obviously taken from origin at the kmf switch protecting the 16mmTW&E, my concern was when I am doing the EICR on these properties which code was acceptable, c3 most would be most likely in my opinion. The run of Submains is typically 15 meters and protected by kfm 60amp, the zs is usually of cable is 0.29 ohm. Its been a while since i used adiabatic equation but i was under the assumption that the Earth conductor should equal or greater than supply neutral conductor.

Its been a while since i used adiabatic equation but i was under the assumption that the Earth conductor should equal or greater than supply neutral conductor.

I am not near a regs book but I thought for TNCS the earth has to be the same size as a conductor. But for TNS could be calculated?

Hi,
Is this a fault on the side of the DNO?:

Void top floor flat (Council) (1 bed I think, not that it makes a difference). Been rewired by another team in company then we went to 2nd fix after plastering and kitchen fitting ect and then I noticed that the mains in to the flat (before bullet) where in 10mm cooker cable going down from the bullet in to gas cupboard under the fuse board cupboard then out the bottom of that cupboard. left in the air, not even trucked.

And on the earth only some of the earth strands where connected.

(Earth cable that is insulated is gas bond).

Sorry that images are sideways.

View attachment 18583View attachment 18584

Thanks

Hi,
Is this a DNO fault or are they allowed to do this?
Thanks

Have to fault find a job, RCD intermittently trips. Hate faults that aren't present all the time...
solar panels were installed...they made a note that main earth reading was shyte AND that there was a slight voltage to the earth. So customer got an electrician in. That electrician installed another earth rod to fix the main earth issue but decided that, as there was no RCD protection to any of the installation, to put one in covering the whole installation. Funnily enough the RCD trips out at least twice a day killing EVERY circuit. Customers are old, ones recovering from a recent heart attack and understandably very vulnerable to cold etc, so the electrician replaced the RCD with an isolator temporarily and I've been called in to sort it.
ive tested a couple of circuits on each DB and was actually surprised by the decent readings for such an old install.
This is what I call a nightmare job...if it ain't broke don't fix it

Reply to Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net