Currently reading:
Terminating SWA glands at both ends

Discuss Terminating SWA glands at both ends in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

markc17

Hey all,

Was wondering if there is any reg that states an armoured cable has to have a gland both ends?
It is a 3 core single phase 10mm so has an internal earth.. ive earthed it the supply end into the board... The cable runs outside along a building then ducks back in through the wall.
The other end is to go into a small Wylex 2 way C.U. in a server room.
My problem is that the CU has a fully detatchable plastic cover, and the only entrance hole is given at the back.. giving nowhere to terminate the SWA. Even if i packed the board off the wall in wood...there would not be room to make it off properly at the back as the entrance hole is prefab.
I know manufacturers recommend proper termination using a gland.. but the armouring is earthed.. and if i hold the cable tight with cleats.. is there any reason that i cannot tape the armouring to the sheath and slot the cover over it, without a brass gland? Perhaps cable tie the top of the cable to the back of the consumer unit?
The room is locked to the public.. and i am the only person that will have anything to do with the board.

I once worked at a company where they did not gland one end of the armoured where it went into air conditioning units... cant find anywhere that actually states whether it is ok to do or not..

First time dealing with a cheap board like this so any advise apreciated..

Mark

You'd think that wouldn't you...quite common practice for me now is making off joints people can't be arsed to do.

The only time you shouldn't gland a SWA cable is in a underground joint.

There is the argument that there is nothing set in stone to say do it (if you're not using the strands as an earth) but too me, all SWA should be glanded properly in any given situation, if the environment didn't need it glanding then 100% guaranteed you don't need SWA for the job. If you don't gland SWA you look lazy/cluess and have poor workmanship.
and i`v watched so called competant persons struggle with ringin & glanding off an armoured....stood there and watched em get crossovers on the armourings n allsorts...lol..

and dont even get em started on doing a scotchcast...lol...

IMG-20121031-00070.jpg

Found this in a house garage last year

Reminds me years ago.....Always terminated SWA using glands as per norm. However started working for another company and they did it slightly different which i had never seen before. What they did was to gland off as normal but then take a few strands of the armour straight through to the switch gear , boxes etc. Any one else seen /done that?

Reminds me years ago.....Always terminated SWA using glands as per norm. However started working for another company and they did it slightly different which i had never seen before. What they did was to gland off as normal but then take a few strands of the armour straight through to the switch gear , boxes etc. Any one else seen /done that?

NO, probably because it's a pointless exercise!!

When I needed to get the SWA into my garage CU I glanded into an adaptable box the usual way and then into the CU. It didn't occur to me to do it any other way as like Telectrix said its designed to be terminated that way.

However, since the chaps brought the point up I'd be interested in 'why' it cant be glanded off (just one end, the other end glanded properly insuring sheath is earthed) by using a normal plastic gland (like you would with say some flex going into a box). I've read the whole thread and cant see any definite reason given, everyone is saying because its 'rough'.

I guess my thoughts are its a heavy cable and needs the security of a very strong gland?

When I needed to get the SWA into my garage CU I glanded into an adaptable box the usual way and then into the CU. It didn't occur to me to do it any other way as like Telectrix said its designed to be terminated that way.

However, since the chaps brought the point up I'd be interested in 'why' it cant be glanded off (just one end, the other end glanded properly insuring sheath is earthed) by using a normal plastic gland (like you would with say some flex going into a box). I've read the whole thread and cant see any definite reason given, everyone is saying because its 'rough'.

I guess my thoughts are its a heavy cable and needs the security of a very strong gland?

There is a dedicated PVC SWA gland for just such a use, where the source earthed armouring is required to be isolated from a separate/different earthing system.

QUOTE=happyhippydad;780277]When I needed to get the SWA into my garage CU I glanded into an adaptable box the usual way and then into the CU. It didn't occur to me to do it any other way as like Telectrix said its designed to be terminated that way.

I guess my thoughts are its a heavy cable and needs the security of a very strong gland?[/QUOTE]

ooooh careful my friend... last time i asked that question i got told i had bad working practice by a guy that cant spell practice...

There is a dedicated PVC SWA gland for just such a use, where the source earthed armouring is required to be isolated from a separate/different earthing system.

Hi Engineer54 , I have asked our wholesaler rep and had a quick search on the tininter net for these but to no avail !?
Do you know of any UK suppliers for them , as they sound like a extremely good cost / time saving item over the usual paxolin board option .

Thank Dave

Hi Engineer54 , I have asked our wholesaler rep and had a quick search on the tininter net for these but to no avail !?
Do you know of any UK suppliers for them , as they sound like a extremely good cost / time saving item over the usual paxolin board option .

Thank Dave

I have a used one over here, i'll take a snap shot of it tomorrow at work (if i remember) and try to post it up here. Haven't a clue where you can purchase in the UK mind!!

I take it back , just looked at the installation instructions !

I likey likey !:clap:

Edit; On further inspection , although it does electrically insulate the enclosure from the gland it also brings a earth potential in to the enclosure .

I know it is essentially the same potential as using a standard gland and paxoline only less labour intensive but still not quite the improvement i had hoped for .

Last edited:

Reply to Terminating SWA glands at both ends in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock