Discuss testing a live armoured in the ground. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

KNIPEX

anyone got any ideas on this.

there is an armoured cable buried in the ground, we have traced it back as far as we can and we think it feeds a db, kill the power to the db and the db is dead, however on a CAT (used for seeing if cables are live)
its showing its still live.

also there are other buildinds around so it may well go under the building.

its impossible to trace it all the way, so just wondering if anyone had any ideas??

my thoughts are the cat is too sensitive?? anyone used these??

only other way i can think of testing it to check it is to spike it???

any other ideas please, thanks :)

have you checked all groundwork drawing ?you could ask elect.board if they have anything in that area their drawings are quite accurate
yours benji

hi
Sounds dodgy to me ,be careful ,i cant see how the cat is to sensitive ,i would knock off every supply at the main till i found the correct disboard ,you could "spike it" with a digger,the driver should be ok if he stays in the cab:)

Possible induction voltage in armourings, but I wouldn't assume so.

Do you intend to re-use the cable?

Last edited by a moderator:
anyone got any ideas on this.

there is an armoured cable buried in the ground, we have traced it back as far as we can and we think it feeds a db, kill the power to the db and the db is dead, however on a CAT (used for seeing if cables are live)
its showing its still live.

also there are other buildinds around so it may well go under the building.

its impossible to trace it all the way, so just wondering if anyone had any ideas??

my thoughts are the cat is too sensitive?? anyone used these??

only other way i can think of testing it to check it is to spike it???

any other ideas please, thanks :)

the cat should have a knob at the top (no, I dont mean you), which you can use to decrease/increase sensitivity, you can also turn the cat through 90 degress to find the exact direction of the cable.

I remeber a lad working for me reckoned there was cables all over a field we were going to spike. We were using a cat and genny, and the genny was inducing into his steel toe capped boots, which the cat was picking up!

bless him!

CAT may be picking up other cables or pipes deeper in the ground under the cable in question. Elec company should have drawings however if its a small service cable (tape or wire armoured) the accuracy of drawings fluctuate from from elec company to elec company.

Spiking a cable that is being used may bring a hefty charge for repairing so best off calling elec company.

I can confirm however that spiking with a digger is safe for the driver, subject to length of diggers arm,distance from substation/fuse and agility of driver whilst jumping from digger..(speaking from experience now, hehe!)

Most unlikely picking up from deeper cable. You cannot rely on a drawing that may be yonks old.
Remove probable breaker/fuse supply. Now use cat at the point in question. If it shows 'live' go back to db and use cat on the known 'dead' cable (is it surrounded by other cables, if so you will need to trace from db through to gland plate to identify the correct cable.)
Does it still show 'live' if so induction, possible up to 50v or more likely 9/24v. If the type of cat you are using is of the type used in identifying control circuits, it may be rated 9v - 1000v so it will pick up.

Next kill the whole board, go back to point in question, is it dead? If the mains into the db is near the cable in question, you will need to kill the db supply to prove.

cheers guys,

still not resolved but western power are now looking into it. :)

Reply to testing a live armoured in the ground. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock