Discuss Testing during a consumer unit change in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

TJC1

-
Reaction score
Evening all

When doing a consumer unit change, how much dept do you all go into? Do you treat it like an EICR with 20% ish and spot checking?

Normally we do end to end, r1 or r2 and IR test once the old board is off and Zs when the new board is on. We try and find end of the line on each circuit and also spot checking.

Didnt know if there is an offical reg/ruling of how much you should do

as much as is necessary to ensure that the installation as a whole is safe and fit for purpose. and as little as a tight-arsed customer is willing to pay for. your EIC should cover everything .

Evening all

When doing a consumer unit change, how much dept do you all go into? Do you treat it like an EICR with 20% ish and spot checking?

Normally we do end to end, r1 or r2 and IR test once the old board is off and Zs when the new board is on. We try and find end of the line on each circuit and also spot checking.

Might not be a Reg, but there is a "Best Practice Guide" You might want to read it, before you take on any more CU swaps

Evening all

Personally I try not to get into Debt on any job I undertake

Last edited:
I think this is a good question.

Imagine doing L-N IR tests for every circuit. That might be ok for immersions, cookers, shower etc but for socket circuits and lighting circuits you could spend half the day hunting down something left plugged in.
I tend to just do L/N-E IR tests for the EIC with regards a CU change.

I think this is a good question.

Imagine doing L-N IR tests for every circuit. That might be ok for immersions, cookers, shower etc but for socket circuits and lighting circuits you could spend half the day hunting down something left plugged in.
I tend to just do L/N-E IR tests for the EIC with regards a CU change.
Maybe a good question HHD but for someone charging people for EICRs it's somewhat disturbing that they haven't read the Guidance provided by the IET or more importantly the "Electrical Safety Council" What say you???????

I always did the testing as if it was new. Never charged for an EICR beforehand, but that was included in the price.

e.g that wasn't an add on.

I insist on a full EICR being done in advance of a board change and include the cost within the overall price. If the customer doesn't like the price, then fine, get someone else to do it.

I insist on a full EICR being done in advance of a board change and include the cost within the overall price. If the customer doesn't like the price, then fine, get someone else to do it.
Got plenty of work have you? sorry couldn't help myself

I didn’t do EICR’s. But don’t think I would of got many jobs if I insisted on one before a replacement CU. Or are you saying you did some testing before taking the old one off the wall?

I didn’t do EICR’s. But don’t think I would of got many jobs if I insisted on one before a replacement CU. Or are you saying you did some testing before taking the old one off the wall?

I do a full EICR before the board is removed from the wall.

I do a full EICR before the board is removed from the wall.

Do you charge that separately, or is that inclusive of the price for a CU change?

I only ask, as some, for an EICR, appear to charge fixed price & in addition price per circuit?

As we're in open forum, lets say a silly price of £500 & £50 per circuit for the EICR, then £1000 for the CU change (normal 3 bed domestic property, dual RCD CU).

I just used just charge the £1000. However, I'd carry out some suitable testing, the day or so before.

Reply to Testing during a consumer unit change in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock