Discuss Testing during a consumer unit change in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You’ll need to test the tails being connected to the new CU.
Inspect the earthing and bonding to ensure they are adequate.
Test any RCDs or RCBOs you install, and test any circuits below 16A to ensure Zs is low enough. Unless of course, the board you are changing has MCBs.
Which out for borrowed neutrals on the lighting.

Agree with above...do the obvious,like so many as said,offer a full Eicr,with DB change,if not basic testing.
If you’ve got tight arse people,it’s gotta be better than it was when originally installed.

My point is, I'm not sure I would of got away with charging for a full EICR, and then full price for a CU, in the domestic market.
I don't win every CU upgrade that I quote for as there is always going to be someone cheaper. But the same is true of every other type of job, not just CU upgrades.

Do you charge that separately, or is that inclusive of the price for a CU change?

I only ask, as some, for an EICR, appear to charge fixed price & in addition price per circuit?

As we're in open forum, lets say a silly price of £500 & £50 per circuit for the EICR, then £1000 for the CU change (normal 3 bed domestic property, dual RCD CU).

I just used just charge the £1000. However, I'd carry out some suitable testing, the day or so before.
The EICR is included within the overall cost of the upgrade, not charged for separately.

So you have an additional charge for the EICR, and then the charge for the CU change?

Therefore you charge £1500+ for your CU changes, whereas I charge £1000.

So you have an additional charge for the EICR, and then the charge for the CU change?

Therefore you charge £1500+ for your CU changes, whereas I charge £1000.

No.

I allocate a whole day for the job to be done. I carry-out a full EICR in the morning. Assuming that all is well and remedial work is not required; the actual board change, final testing and certification is done in the afternoon. If remedial work is required, it will be quoted for separately and completed before I proceed with the board change.

To determine the price that will be charged for the EICR and CU upgrade, my hourly rate is multiplied by the hours that I'm likely to be on the job then added to the cost of materials. Most of the time I complete the job ahead of schedule, but there will be times when I have to work longer than intended. Swings and roundabouts.

If only I could charge £1500 or even a grand for a CU upgrade and EICR. In my dreams! Alas, the market in the Glasgow area won't pay anywhere near those prices.:( My business operates in a marketplace and geolocation that is absolutely saturated. One way that I deal with this intense competition is to trade on my good reputation and emphasise the quality and safety of my workmanship. While the cost of a job is obviously an important factor when deciding who to hire, customer confidence is equally important.

This is my model. Works for me.

No.

I allocate a whole day for the job to be done. I carry-out a full EICR in the morning. Assuming that all is well and remedial work is not required; the actual board change, final testing and certification is done in the afternoon. If remedial work is required, it will be quoted for separately and completed before I proceed with the board change.

To determine the price that will be charged for the EICR and CU upgrade, my hourly rate is multiplied by the hours that I'm likely to be on the job then added to the cost of materials. Most of the time I complete the job ahead of schedule, but there will be times when I have to work longer than intended. Swings and roundabouts.

If only I could charge £1500 or even a grand for a CU upgrade and EICR. In my dreams! Alas, the market in the Glasgow area won't pay anywhere near those prices.:( My business operates in a marketplace and geolocation that is absolutely saturated. One way that I deal with this intense competition is to trade on my good reputation and emphasise the quality and safety of my workmanship. While the cost of a job is obviously an important factor when deciding who to hire, customer confidence is equally important.

The figures I gave were hypothetical; we are in an open forum, don't want to give away our prices & measly profit!

I know some charge £--- for an EICR, then charge £--- for a CU replacement. I wouldn't of been able to do that. So my price was just the price for the CU replacement, which varied on the size of the new CU, number of circuits, bonding etc. Testing before & after was included in that.

No.

I very much doubt I could do a full EICR and a board change in a day, unless it was a very small house.

I have known of people conducting EICERs then offering to deduct the cost of the EICR from the work.
Whether they do that, or just add the cost of the EICR to the cost of the work, I don’t know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have known of people conducting EICERs then offering to duct the cost of the EICR from the work.
Whether they do that, or just add the cost of the EICR to the cost of the work, I don’t know.
What size duct SL

Reply to Testing during a consumer unit change in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net