Discuss The tories policies are working in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Another take on what could happen if the Yes vote wins...

Courtesy of John Ward/The Slog - The Slog. | Deconstruct lies, reconstruct Decency

Desperate times create strange bedfellows
Having saved the World in 2008, Gordon Brown is stepping in to save the UK in 2014. He is embarking, with full Government support, on a 30-stop tub thumping tour of Scotland to try and persuade his countrymen that they’re better off staying with the Cameron Highlanders. It’s a shrewd move by Number Ten: people will think, “if it wasn’t for the Union, we’d have this clown in our politics”. There should be a clear majority for the ‘No’ campaign come next Friday.
While encouraging their near neighbours to stay under the post-Glencoe Massacre yoke, the English themselves meanwhile are increasingly keen to break away from the European Union. With the Germans running economic strategy and the Italians in charge of the money, there are plenty of grounds for secession enthusiasm. But Camerlot continues to insist that we are better staying in so we can reform the EU from top to toe. When asked by Andrew Marr at the weekend what made him think this to be even possible let alone likely, the Chancellor George Osborne was forced to fall back on the fact that one of the many new EC Presidents is Polish, and they’ve said they’ll support us.
While I have no doubt that the gallant Poles will, as ever, poke their lances into the Berlin-am-Brussels tanks and give them a damn good thrashing with gleaming swords, The Draper is stretching even British gullibility to the limit with that one. But then, he has created a virtual economic recovery based on QE, banks and ********, and even Marr was referring casually to the economy as “in recovery”. The question is, whether the Great Treasury Three-Card Trick can hold until next May. The threats to George here are:
1. Rising interest rates and/or a UK banking failure
2. A stock market collapse
3. Somebody noticing that the manufacturing sector is no bigger than it was in 2010
4. The collapse of the eurozone as a market for British goods
5. The collapse of the World economy as a market for British goods
6. Scotland voting Yes to secession from the UK.
As a man who relishes having his bum a millimetre above the ocean waves in a Force 9 wind, this kind of thing is nothing new for Mr Osborne. What must be concerning some of his colleagues, however, is that all of the above now seem to be on the cards sooner or later.
As the Brits long ago lost the ability or inclination to add up, we can dismiss Number 3 there are most unlikely in the medium term. But Ossie has RBS, markets pumped up by QE, flatlining Europe and Italy talking openly of leaving the euro, the stuttering Chinese slowdown, and now an opinion poll so worrying that they’ve had to Mrs Brown out of the attic in order to scare the living crap out of the kilted ones.
Of these, I suspect a Scottish Yes vote is what Little Squeaky fears most. While Scotland ‘got’ £16.5bn more in UK public spending than it contributed to total UK revenues in 2009-10, this is no longer true, and the Chancellor knows it: Scotland now pays more in tax per head than the rest of the UK. Out of just under £560 billion of public spending in 2012-13, England accounts for £456bn – with just £54bn spent on the Scots.
In short, Scottish secession would give Camerlot a bigger austerity problem than the one they already have.
In the light of this, the Two Gentlemen of Downing Street have chosen big stick and fat carrot: no sharing the Pound under any circumstances, but far more Westminster investment in Scotland. There are three problems with this panicky response: a shrinkage in the Sterling Area may well play very badly for the Pound; investment in Scotland has traditionally been, beyond oil, something of a black hole; and such promises mean more spending, which will further create pressure on the Pound.
As I keep saying, a cheap Pound gives you a head start in exports….briefly. Then, when the time comes to buy the next round of raw materials and food, it bites you in the backside. Also a steep fall in the currency could set off a panic.
Slightly off the radar but also a possibility, Mr Osborne insisted on the Marr Show that we already spend 2% of gdp on defence – a level NATO demanded from all its members last week. This is true for 2013 (it was actually 2.3%) but not going forward: defence cuts by the Government and a rise in UK gdp mean that in 2014 we will spend 1.8% of it making weapons, and equipping the armed forces with technology that occasionally works.
It would take only a worsening Ukrainian situation and/or a Jihadist atrocity inside Britain to blow that way off course. Suddenly, George Osborne is going to have to find in the region of £125bn if he is to keep his word. As he tends to keep his word locked away and out of sight, this won’t cause the Chancellor any insomnia: but it will make him a sitting duck during an election campaign.
My own money is (literally) still on stock market collapses in the short-term and rising rates longer term: these – along with falling tax revenues during a slump – will eventually reduce our gdp and increase our borrowing costs. Then Britain will be revealed for what it really is: bankrupt, and 78% dependent on meaningless paper.
But in the immediate term, watch out for the shuffling of nervous bottoms at Westminster if the next Poll shows an increase in the Yes margin.

Wow I don't hate English people at all never ever. My misses is English, Half my family are English...I have welsh mum and Scottish father...I was born in Scotland and spent most of my holidays down in kent. I have as many english friends as I have scottish. Hate the english ? Nah mate. You have either met an extraordinary amount of a-holes OR you are coming across as defensive and are not digging the micky taking/banter that is so much part of british/scottish culture. I would also point out that a lot of my scottish friends like to "tease" english guys in pubs ect and on sites....just to get a rise out of them ....ask them 1 on 1 do they hate english and you would get the true feelings. I have witnessed many scottish guys backing our english friends weather that be physically in pubs/clubs and at the work place when it comes to sticking together ect.
Whate we don't like at the moment is the right wing policies of the Westminster government. Even labour ffs....far too right for what we want...is it so bad to want to try something different ? It may end up with us jocks all paying 90% super tax and getting shafted locally instead of nationally......at least we may have a chance to give it a shot. "Life without hope"...........
Yup you sussed me :grin:

Wow I don't hate English people at all never ever. My misses is English, Half my family are English...I have welsh mum and Scottish father...I was born in Scotland and spent most of my holidays down in kent. I have as many english friends as I have scottish. Hate the english ? Nah mate. You have either met an extraordinary amount of a-holes OR you are coming across as defensive and are not digging the micky taking/banter that is so much part of british/scottish culture. I would also point out that a lot of my scottish friends like to "tease" english guys in pubs ect and on sites....just to get a rise out of them ....ask them 1 on 1 do they hate english and you would get the true feelings. I have witnessed many scottish guys backing our english friends weather that be physically in pubs/clubs and at the work place when it comes to sticking together ect.
Whate we don't like at the moment is the right wing policies of the Westminster government. Even labour ffs....far too right for what we want...is it so bad to want to try something different ? It may end up with us jocks all paying 90% super tax and getting shafted locally instead of nationally......at least we may have a chance to give it a shot. "Life without hope"...........
I agree, obviously you don't know me well lol, Cannot agree with that, how left do you want to go, communism level?

I agree, obviously you don't know me well lol, Cannot agree with that, how left do you want to go, communism level?
Left of center would be a bloody start lol. But me personally ? I am probably a Tory supporters nightmare.
Nationalized industry - Steel, Coal, Energy generation and distribution. A tax system that distributes the countries wealth and her assets.
Minimum wage to reflect the cost of living. So a average single person could afford a 1 bed flat and eat/heat plus save say 10% after expenses for 1 week out of 1 weeks wage - sounds radical but if you look at in work benefits just now we the taxpayer already pay the top ups - just think of the saving if this could be forced on employers - Prices would rise to begin with but the market would even out and find its feet. The end result is the taxpayer saves a bloody fortune.
Council houses built by councils.
By the way the fact that coal and steel were subsidized.....just think we still subsidize this portion of the workforce via working tax credit/council tax reductions and housing benefit. We actually subsidize most of the supermarkets and other retail jobs in some way or other.
Lastly can I chuck out all scam schemes and replace with a 1 scheme backed by government same as gas safe lol.
There ya go thats my left wing policies. And I would not bat an eye at paying 30% basic rate tax to help pay for my "wants".

They may be the first but won't be the last company to make this announcement.......

Back to Mr Salmond - he has scored a MASSIVE own goal this morning by claiming next weeks vote for the Scots is going to be like the first vote South Africa had after the end of Aparthide.

All I can say to Alec Salmond - got back under the stone you crawled out from you ARROGANT WXNKER.

I am offended - as are many more judging by whats being said on the Radio.
The man is a five knuckle shuffler for sure....I am not voting for him when I vote for independence I am voting for what comes after.....But yes I actually think decent speaker ect pretty good at gelling his party and followers together. I look at SNP as a one hit wonder...they have got us the referendum....even if it's a no they have delivered what they said...along with the billions in more concessions that they are all offering now that it looks close (Im sure that will endear us to R-UK lol)
I just cant get my head round WHY if we are such a drain and basically a net "taker" from the exchequer WHY do ALL the main Westminster parties want to keep us so dearly ? Do Mp's really do stuff for love and sentiment ?

Left of center would be a bloody start lol. But me personally ? I am probably a Tory supporters nightmare.
Nationalized industry - Steel, Coal, Energy generation and distribution. A tax system that distributes the countries wealth and her assets.
Minimum wage to reflect the cost of living. So a average single person could afford a 1 bed flat and eat/heat plus save say 10% after expenses for 1 week out of 1 weeks wage - sounds radical but if you look at in work benefits just now we the taxpayer already pay the top ups - just think of the saving if this could be forced on employers - Prices would rise to begin with but the market would even out and find its feet. The end result is the taxpayer saves a bloody fortune.
Council houses built by councils.
By the way the fact that coal and steel were subsidized.....just think we still subsidize this portion of the workforce via working tax credit/council tax reductions and housing benefit. We actually subsidize most of the supermarkets and other retail jobs in some way or other.
Lastly can I chuck out all scam schemes and replace with a 1 scheme backed by government same as gas safe lol.
There ya go thats my left wing policies. And I would not bat an eye at paying 30% basic rate tax to help pay for my "wants".
I think we are similar, don't rule out voting Labour, if you ignore the Tory crap and look into their policies yourself you may be pleasantly suprised at how much alike in thoughts you and the party are lol

The man is a five knuckle shuffler for sure....I am not voting for him when I vote for independence I am voting for what comes after.....But yes I actually think decent speaker ect pretty good at gelling his party and followers together. I look at SNP as a one hit wonder...they have got us the referendum....even if it's a no they have delivered what they said...along with the billions in more concessions that they are all offering now that it looks close (Im sure that will endear us to R-UK lol)
I just cant get my head round WHY if we are such a drain and basically a net "taker" from the exchequer WHY do ALL the main Westminster parties want to keep us so dearly ? Do Mp's really do stuff for love and sentiment ?
Your not a drain, it is all about security of borders and standing against the EU, you actually contribute 6 billion a year via NSO and the MPs in westminster are trying to scare you into voting NO, I agree about the NO vote myself but for real reasons not scaremongering.

I think we are similar, don't rule out voting Labour, if you ignore the Tory crap and look into their policies yourself you may be pleasantly suprised at how much alike in thoughts you and the party are lol
Politics is my hobby/pastime mate. I do look at the current labour policies and the top end of the party and the actual structure of the party makes me sad. They ignore their "core" almost guaranteed votes. They aim for the swing voters....which in 1997 they would not even have needed. They are trying to sell themselves to the middle right.....In my opinion it doesn't cut it for me. When you see something that really is not working starting from 1979.....then you at least want a choice of sorting it out or carrying on as is.
I think Labour would have walked the 1997 election even if Brown had been leader. I also think Labour would have won in 1997 with the now infamous 1982/3 election manifesto. People were SICK and TIRED of what had/has become of the country. "New Labour" did make some great strides and done some remarkable work.......Just I like a spade to be called a spade - If you want good public services then you bloody well dig deep into your tax paying publics pocket
Tell them (Voters/public) how it is. When you have seen family wait 18 months to see a consultant heart surgeon (early 1990's), Then you will be prepared to pay for the service to be bettered through taxation.

I find it interesting that some of the same people who have mocked when I've said leaving the EU would cost jobs are now quoting companies who say they'll leave an independent Scotland.

Politics is my hobby/pastime mate. I do look at the current labour policies and the top end of the party and the actual structure of the party makes me sad. They ignore their "core" almost guaranteed votes. They aim for the swing voters....which in 1997 they would not even have needed. They are trying to sell themselves to the middle right.....In my opinion it doesn't cut it for me. When you see something that really is not working starting from 1979.....then you at least want a choice of sorting it out or carrying on as is.
I think Labour would have walked the 1997 election even if Brown had been leader. I also think Labour would have won in 1997 with the now infamous 1982/3 election manifesto. People were SICK and TIRED of what had/has become of the country. "New Labour" did make some great strides and done some remarkable work.......Just I like a spade to be called a spade - If you want good public services then you bloody well dig deep into your tax paying publics pocket
Tell them (Voters/public) how it is. When you have seen family wait 18 months to see a consultant heart surgeon (early 1990's), Then you will be prepared to pay for the service to be bettered through taxation.
The waiting list during John Majors term was 2 years, it was around 3 months 5 years ago, no idea what it is now, infact if you go into a doctors waiting room now most have petitions on the wall about waiting times due to tory cuts, vote labour and get free treatment, vote tory and find 25 quid to see your GP with huge waiting times and privatisation.

i respect your right to vote labour, but why you want to stay in a corrupt, anti-UK , sponging, bureaucratic, nonentity , beats me.

i respect your right to vote labour, but why you want to stay in a corrupt, anti-UK , sponging, bureaucratic, nonentity , beats me.
Your a right wing thinker Tel, How on earth could you ever understand the Labour party and it's values? you couldn't, and I cannot understand Right wing thinking, thats why we will always agree to disagree, thank god for democracy. I will walk across broken glass naked if I have to when next years election is due, I will do what I can to help remove this Government and especially Nick Clegg.

but i can understand, mike. there's good and bad with both sides. maybe a tory/labour coalition is the way forward with the extremes of both parties eliminated by sticking to middle ground.

The largest market in the world for one, and remember your mate heath got us into it in the 70s, thats one tory policy I do agree with.

but i can understand, mike. there's good and bad with both sides. maybe a tory/labour coalition is the way forward with the extremes of both parties eliminated by sticking to middle ground.
If Scotland gets independence that may become a reality, it happens in Europe in several countries, The labour party will be in difficult territory next year if the Scots say yes next week.

I have had Sky News on most of the day whilst I have been home and from what I have seen the Scots polls are almost 50/50, it is going to be very close.

The largest market in the world for one, and remember your mate heath got us into it in the 70s, thats one tory policy I do agree with.

it was heath that got us in the common market, but it was that ------- wilson ( the pound in your pocket will not be devalued ( well not till tomorrow) that got us in the eu)

Reply to The tories policies are working in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net